Surplus 30-06 Ammo

Joefin18

Recently acquired around 50 rounds of 30-06 dating 1942 earliest. Is there anything to look out for before firing in my M1 Garand? Tips for cleaning/preparing? Thank you

7E580970-ABC7-4D8A-A15A-4E0E654A6762.jpeg

The Rooster

I was wondering.... why are'nt the bullets brass jacketed ?

Is that normal ? What is that ? Reloads ?

What does the headstamp say?, you mentioned date, what about manufacturer? That said, no problems shooting them, the primers are corrosive, many people get overly excited about that, I don't. Just be sure to swab out with soapy water to neutralize the salts then clean as usuall. I have fired many in my Springfield, Enfield and Garand without any problems , I usually run a few patches with water at the range, then when I get home use the regular Hoppes as usuall. 

Now, why shot collectible ammo? I have some in my collectible stash, I believe they are the early M1 ( not M2) round. The M1 ammo has a 170 grn bullet I believe, and the jacket is cupro- nickel, silver in color. All our WW1 era stuff was silver, no harm to the bore. The M1 ammo was used by the Navy for their aircraft machine guns, heavier bullet, longer range than the 150 grn M2 round....and snipers also sought out the M1 ball round due to its heavier bullet. From your picture, you may have a bonus- are the en blocs WW2 issue? If so , another collectible feature.

31 minutes ago, rooster77 said:

I was wondering.... why are'nt the bullets brass jacketed ?

Is that normal ? What is that ? Reloads ?

Not reloads, normal as can be, but a picture of the headcase would confirm. Read my post on the cupro- nickel WW1 M1 ball era bullets( ran through 1944 I believe). That said, cartridge collecting is fascinating field....most don't realize the US round developement from WW1. The M1 ball ran concurrent when the lighter M2 ball was being manufactured. Also, we had a" M2, ball, alternate", the projectile is magnetic because it is copper washed mild steel. Google up ".30 cal, M1 ball " for months of reading....

Think I found a good reference:

"image.jpeg.9486c135e1c197091da34bae07b8f349.jpegM1 BALL used a 172 grain boat tail bullet similar to 173 grain Nation Match bullet. Since the cartridges are in 5 round stripper clips this ammo was for use in the Model 1903 Springfield rifle. According to the History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Vol. II, by Hackley, Woodin and Scranton: "In 1940 the standard ball cartridge was the M2, which had been standardized for ground use by the Ordnance Committee on November 9, 1939 (approved January 12, 1940). At the same time the M1 Ball cartridge was reclassified as Limited Standard, except for use in aircraft machine guns by the U.S. Navy where it was still standard." The last loaded at Frankford was Lot 2161 (accepted 24 October, 1941). The lot consisted of 601,500 rounds. The M1 Ball was declared obsolete on 17 August 1944.”

Again, a picture of the cartridges headstamp would verify if M1 ball, or early M2 ball which was also silver in color ( probably not very early M2 ball because of your stated date of 1942).

A family friend passed away recently and left us with an ammo tin full of old/surplus ammunition of varying dates. Most rounds were 45 acp, repeater ammo, and 30-06. I went through it all and took a special interest in the 06, since I own a Garand. I did not expect these to be potentially collectible (if what I have truly is WWII surplus). The reason I assumed they were was because I did about 5 minutes of research and came to that conclusion, not really caring about the date but more about the wear they’d put on my rifle. This really is very interesting though, thank you for showing me 

Here I’ve attached some photos of the markings I found on almost all bullets, are these truly WWII? I will definitely not be shooting these now haha. Sorry if they are not and I wasted anyone’s time!

8B5AFA17-8592-4D57-B034-8AE00D1CAAAA.jpeg

8A05E3C2-65B4-4504-A7BD-1196CB1FC0CF.jpeg

0AE27F72-FBFC-4B61-BE64-CED33EC786A6.jpeg

F3700E39-5B86-4290-8378-A4BF4D8AD466.jpeg

FD9CD941-B2D2-4D48-90EC-67FD705118DC.jpeg

7FED579D-17FE-41D5-8C37-B72AE5270965.jpeg

I can't read the lettering on the case, but I can make out a "4", some USGI manufacturers used  the single number to mean 1944. They dropped one number for expediency. As for your .30 M2 rounds, some are collectors as for example "DM" plant shutdown after the war.

"WCC" also collector as it is Winchester manufacture, they made the least quantities of ammo during WW2. "EW" also collector, DEN 43 prized also as they were sought after by snipers, in fact the Marine Corp aquired all the DEN it could, it was known for its accuracy. They finally ,in the 1960's , surplused unused amounts to the CMP, of which I was lucky enough to get a few sealed crates ( I opened a few up) and they held pristine WW2 1943 rounds, clips, bandoleers and lot cards! It is obvious the previous owner knew what had. You can go online and search WW2 headstamp codes, headstamp lettering, etc....for interesting info about the manufacturers. Oh, notice your "RA" ,Remington Arms has a strange primer staking, used specifically for aircraft MG's- the box it came from would have been marked with an "AN" number- curious, does that one have a cupro nickel ( silver in color) projectile?