USAF M16s and 38s questions

ffuries

Forgot to add to the parts list.

Small pad ejection port cover. 

Slab side upper (No forward assist, no shell deflector).

Type D buttstock.

A1 pistol grip.

Triangular handguards. 

3 prong flashhider.

M1 style green sling.

20 inch pencil barrel. 

A1 rear sights.

A1 front sights. 

20 round magazine. 

Flat slip ring. 

• 1 year later...

Back around Dec or so I got hold of a 1972 S&W M15-3 to add to my USAF facsimile weapons. It had a service trigger and semi-target hammer. Aquired a target hammer and target trigger for it. 

Plus I found one of my M-12 holsters (Don't know if it's my Desert Storm one or one i used later) and my drop leg holster (OEF used one) for when I get a Beretta M9 Commercial.

20221219_143734.jpg.e72e8e8292a3c73813842e00c343f7b3.jpg

20230326_141601.jpg.196c0331368344e0e94a85bdd55e8358.jpg20230315_210042.jpg.4da285de2a7a67f7abb48593b00f925c.jpg

20230623_183418.jpg.18fc6d5a86fb21d518566095f08bb622.jpg20230623_183430.jpg.fc48370fcfd24fc2a69b7fdf18cd68de.jpg20230623_183654.jpg.d35b6338973492b1716b240e5c600e83.jpg

Left this information out.....

On the drop leg holster set-up the belt and one of the double magazine holders are made by Bianchi, the other double magazine holder and the holster is made by Blackhawk. The holster is still dingy from being worn, the belt was seldom worn, and kept in my bag. Hence the difference in condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a holster for the 38, it came with a belt and cartridge holder that I didn't need. Will probably let those two items go at some point. Holster is in great shape which makes me happy.

The holster is Bucheimer, marked S&W and 1095 480 6807GG BO7-44Y

It came with a Bucheimer/Clark belt (Marked B1-14) and a Brauer Bros cartridge sleeve (Marked 16 38C) that holds 12 cartridges, which I assume are both commercial LEO used. 

20230910_161145.jpg.5185a32cc17d88953c68decc4a3b05c9.jpg20230910_161214.jpg.c45f54735c9668d79bc94eb207418b0d.jpg

2 hours ago, ffuries said:

The holster is Bucheimer, marked S&W and 1095 480 6807GG BO7-44Y  

Nice rig.  However, your holster was not made by Bucheimer.  It was made by the leather division of Smith & Wesson.  Bucheimer made a lot of USGI holsters but did not make this model.  These holsters, intended to carry the 4 inch S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece .38 Special revolvers, were made by Cathey, Western Manufacturing and S&W.

Regards,

Charlie

24 minutes ago, Charlie Flick said:

Nice rig.  However, your holster was not made by Bucheimer.  It was made by the leather division of Smith & Wesson.  Bucheimer made a lot of USGI holsters but did not make this model.  These holsters, intended to carry the 4 inch S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece .38 Special revolvers, were made by Cathey, Western Manufacturing and S&W.

Regards,

Charlie

Thank you for the correction.....Don't I feel dumb as heck now, LOL.

1 hour ago, Charlie Flick said:

Regards,

Charlie

Oh and another thing, whenever I would put in the NSN or PN/Model Number or USAF used 38 holster, it always came up as being made by Bucheimer. So I just assumed, and we all know what that leads to.

Just happy to have the holster and now I just to find the dump pouch for the ammo and dig out my old style web belt (metal versus plastic buckle). Then it'll look just like the rigs the SPs issued us during mobility and chemical warfare exercises, and real world when we issued the 38s to the aircrew. 

Thank you to everyone on here, for getting me pointed in the direction I needed during this journey, and for correcting my many assumptions here and on my other weapons posts on the USMF. 

When we went to the M9, did they have a magazine holder that went with the M12 holster? I honestly can't remember or recall what we did with the spare magazine. 

21 minutes ago, ffuries said:

When we went to the M9, did they have a magazine holder that went with the M12 holster? I honestly can't remember or recall what we did with the spare magazine. 

Yup.  There was a single mag pouch for use with the M9 pistol.  It had Alice clips on it and could be used on Molle equipment also.

My example is packed away so I pulled this image off of the web for you.

Charlie

Single mag pouch for M9 pistol.JPG

17 minutes ago, Charlie Flick said:

Yup.  There was a single mag pouch for use with the M9 pistol.  It had Alice clips on it and could be used on Molle equipment also.

My example is packed away so I pulled this image off of the web for you.

Charlie

Single mag pouch for M9 pistol.JPG

Awesome, now I know what to look for.....Can't thank you enough!

• 5 months later...
Marshallj

I have never seen an AF rifle with a forward assist. I have never seen a parkerized Model 15. 

gau.jpg

Linedoggie
1 hour ago, Marshallj said:

I have never seen an AF rifle with a forward assist. I have never seen a parkerized Model 15. 

gau.jpg

My bro who is in a rescue wing on his 2nd OEF tour.

Note not only does the M16A2 have a Forward Assist, but look at the mag release fence. He sent me the Serial number and originally built as a XM16E1.

catoef.jpg

MinutemanEMTer

While in the Air Force as a Missile Systems Technician, when we had to draw weapons when transporting T/S targeting code tapes, we were issued either the S&W M-10, or the M-15 with heavy barrel. Some of these handguns were in pretty rough shape finish-wise, but we hoped they would function if the time ever came. Fortunately, it didn't.

We never knew what we would get when we showed up at the armory. They also gave us a pistol belt and holster with the revolver. The Beretta M-9 didn't come along until late '87 or '88 when I was discharged.

In addition, there were two Remington 870 security model shotguns strapped to a post in the upper Launcher Equipment Room and 100 rounds of ammo in a tool bag in case we were assaulted and they got by the Security Police topside.

Marshallj
2 hours ago, Linedoggie said:

My bro who is in a rescue wing on his 2nd OEF tour.

Note not only does the M16A2 have a Forward Assist, but look at the mag release fence. He sent me the Serial number and originally built as a XM16E1.

catoef.jpg

Interesting. When I was in OEF my weapon did not have a forward assist. 

Marshallj
44 minutes ago, MinutemanEMTer said:

While in the Air Force as a Missile Systems Technician, when we had to draw weapons when transporting T/S targeting code tapes, we were issued either the S&W M-10, or the M-15 with heavy barrel. Some of these handguns were in pretty rough shape finish-wise, but we hoped they would function if the time ever came. Fortunately, it didn't.

We never knew what we would get when we showed up at the armory. They also gave us a pistol belt and holster with the revolver. The Beretta M-9 didn't come along until late '87 or '88 when I was discharged.

In addition, there were two Remington 870 security model shotguns strapped to a post in the upper Launcher Equipment Room and 100 rounds of ammo in a tool bag in case we were assaulted and they got by the Security Police topside.

I can only say what I saw in SP. We never used 10's only 15's. 

14 hours ago, Marshallj said:

Interesting. When I was in OEF my weapon did not have a forward assist. 

For me, as an Aircrew Life Support Technician, after I left Germany in 1992 every M16 I shot with at CATM, or carried in exercises, etc had the Forward Assist and Shell Deflector. AKA basically a M16A2, granted some of these A2 uppers were built on M16 lowers that had been modified from full auto to 3 round burst. 

As for the 38s I remember seeing blued ones, but can't speak to seeing any parkarized. But then again I didn't pay much attention to them. Either shot them and turned it in, or holstered it for an entire exercise. Now years later as I've become a gun nut and collector, I wish I had paid more attention back then. 

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)