Damaged M1 Rear Seam Steel Only. No Liner. No story. Just the helmet.

The Rooster

Adding to dmar836’s comment, this helmet appears to be a post Korea produced helmet, maybe at the very least a 1950’s made McCord, but either way, this couldn’t have been worn by a soldier who was killed in 1950. Also, why is there only a follow me stripe and no officer rank on the front? It’s just odd

11 minutes ago, trenchfoot said:

Adding to dmar836’s comment, this helmet appears to be a post Korea produced helmet, maybe at the very least a 1950’s made McCord, but either way, this couldn’t have been worn by a soldier who was killed in 1950. Also, why is there only a follow me stripe and no officer rank on the front? It’s just odd

This is what I've been wondering. My understanding has been that the low dome helmets with sand finish were manufactured starting in the mid 50s and that they were not available in time to see use in Korea.

At the very least I don't think this helmet belonged to the gentleman linked earlier in the thread. Though I have my doubts on the follow me stripe and the battle damage as well.

The stacking idea got me thinking. I've seen a few sets for sale where an apparent rust ring would indicate stacking. Under what circumstances were helmets stacked that way for a long enough period to cause such corrosion?

The Rooster

Everyones comments are quite plausible. I got it with no story attached. The seller got it from a guy

in Ohio about 15 years ago. He never noticed the name in it. Excuse me for my imagination running rampant

on this. Im rather slow work wise and my mind can concoct these things with much elaboration..

It is all speculation because say I did get LT Riveras records and found out he had a head wound that killed him...

It still would not prove that this is the helmet he wore.

I just put it up to show.. I didnt see the name in it until I took it outside in the sun.

The seller had never ever noticed it...

So all comments and thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Thank you all.

ArchangelDM

At very least it’s created an interesting thread with lots of possibilities and opinions. 

New threads keep me coming back daily 

thanks again for showing us 

Yep. It was either the head shot, a pot shot, or aliens in training probing the wrong end. Those are the only three options I see.

I agree with ArchangelDM, these threads are always interesting and for a guy like me, also educational. Thanks!

The Rooster

I learned ... again.... A reinforcement if you will.......

that I need to tamper down my imagination when it comes to helmets !!!

I would have been okay, had I not seen the name. Then I guess I went nuts !!! lol

Really it could have been drilled in someones back yard in the 70's or 80's.

Nobody really gave a darn about these then, like they do now.

5 hours ago, jmd62 said:

The stacking idea got me thinking. I've seen a few sets for sale where an apparent rust ring would indicate stacking. Under what circumstances were helmets stacked that way for a long enough period to cause such corrosion?

Surplus market use to have tons of them. Some of these are Bugme’s photos. 😁

D81D4C82-495C-4D72-8197-73B8CB175C88.jpeg

8E41700C-663F-4BFA-AFF5-76FA38F206CE.jpeg

A78459BC-354E-408F-BF7E-7B384B196B73.jpeg

D00E5596-9C36-4113-9135-076EC801AF0D.png

BDCF01BB-9770-486B-B020-3DF218584626.jpeg

DE5B2DBB-A423-4986-8F13-EC558D787B3F.png

822D18B4-1BEE-437D-8DA8-ADA4CE0ED2C1.jpeg

Thanks, now that's a lot of helmets! I would love to have a few piles of those babies.. A buddy of mine grew up in Germany (his Dad was in the Army and was stationed there) and he said there were similar piles of Germany helmets under bridges and whatnot that the kids would play with. $$$. 

I saw a helmet with liner for sale recently that has the typical stacked corrosion so basically it was probably from a post war stack that got a liner added sometime down the road. 

ArchangelDM
7 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Yep. It was either the head shot, a pot shot, or aliens in training probing the wrong end. Those are the only three options I see.

😂 now you’ve said it I think the 3rd is more than likely 

manayunkman

There is a place between Lancaster and Palmdale, CA that has a ton of these shells waisting away at $5.00 each.

They have been stacked and they all seem to be stuck together.

• 8 months later...
The Rooster

Bringing this up again, if anyone can link a head wound to a Rivera, Prob Vietnam era

Please update this. Thank you.