Hill 192 - July 11-12, 1944 - 2nd ID

Helmet2id

Seventy six years ago today my Uncle Charlie, "The Heeby Jeeby Greek on the BAR", C Company, 23rd, engaged in the most savage fighting of his combat experience, and he was one of the few 2nd ID soldiers who landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day, and who was on the front from D-Day until September 14, 1944 when he was severely wounded by mg fire in the bitter siege of Brest. In the 2 day battle for Hill 192 the Second ID cleared the way for the assault on St. Lo, and made Operation Cobra possible. He cried whenever he talked about Hill 192. He lost a lot of his friends in that battle, and that experience scarred him for the rest of his life. I will never forget this anniversary. Jim G.

Here are 3 of my 2nd ID helmets

228D8BC2-D093-4A56-8FE7-7E1A7F96D086.jpeg

5D00097A-3E7E-4570-ACDA-ED7667CFBB23.jpeg

48DD49DD-630A-40CE-96AD-A150D22796BA.jpeg

Very nice collection of 2nd ID helmets, they’re one of my personal favorites. Thank you for sharing them and especially your uncle’s story!

The map shows the advance of the 23rd Regiment on July 11, 1944.  The google earth photo shows the same fields and hedgerows that Charlie advanced through and over the first day of the battle as they exist today.

7D592A51-B7C3-4769-8983-0EDA4908E517.jpeg

BAA3F927-DD42-4E01-A075-6752CA4801D2.jpeg

The irony is that on June 6, 1918, elements of 3rd Battalion 23rd Infantry engaged elements of the German 1st Bn 47th Infantry for a knoll designated as Hill 192 about a kilometer southeast of the village of Bouresches during the 36-day fight for Belleau Wood.  Company M 3rd Bn, 23rd Infantry suffered particularly high casualties in a futile effort to gain this wooded knoll.

Thank you for that history, I knew the 23rd was at Belleau Wood, but never knew any of the specifics.  A Company, 23rd took a helluva beating at Purple Heart Draw shortly after the attack began on July 11, taking about 40 dead and wounded in about 10 minutes.  My Uncle was a BAR man, but told me that during the first day C Company was pinned down by an MG nest in one of the hedgerows.  He took it out with a well placed rifle grenade.  He shook when he told me about that.  

thank you for sharing

please keep a written history of helmet to give to the future generations of your family

semper fi

Very interesting history and awesome lids. Probably one of the most unique and storied insignias. I’ve got a liner for now. All I need is the shell to go with it.