1944 M1 Garand & 1943 Carbine

Ronald

T105s, looks like flat side oprod, Did it go thru rebuild? Nice looking stock! Any Cartouches?

Carbine is sweet!

1 hour ago, ccyooper said:

Very nice carbine.  The garand has been through rebuild and has a mix of parts.  Thank you for posting 

They are are all SA period parts. I do not see any rebuild marks/stamps. What do you see, I don't?

Well, it is hard to tell from the pictures because they are not close up, but a late 44 rifle would not have a milled trigger guard. Also, while blurry in my pictures I can see that it does not have a lock bar sight. They appear to be the type of rear sight that where used post war. That’s what leads me to believe it went through a rebuild at some point. 

I love those rebuilds, they have their history behind them. Is there a cartouche on the stock or a proof mark on the grip area? I have a 1944 Garand myself that was later rebuilt with a 1947 barrel and post KW stock. The rest is 1944. 

It has SA over an M on the left wrist area and a P on pistol grip. Best I can with indoor flash. A lot of glare though.

DSCN9492.JPG

DSCN9493.JPG

Thanks for posting the pics. It almost looks like a partially sanded down S. A. over E.McF cartouche, Springfield Armory - Earl McFarland. 

everforward

That ‘SA’ cartouche with only the upper half of the square is a complete cartouche, not sanded down....Springfield Armory used these on refurbished rifles, post-WW2. The “M” is the initial of the inspector for the rifle.......

12 minutes ago, everforward said:

That ‘SA’ cartouche with only the upper half of the square is a complete cartouche, not sanded down....Springfield Armory used these on refurbished rifles, post-WW2. The “M” is the initial of the inspector for the rifle.......

Excellent information, I haven't seen that cartouche. Good to know, thanks!