Unique set of Glider Pilot wings - reproduction Gaunt wings

WWIIinterviews

WWIIinterviews

A pair of pin back glider pilot wings made by J.R. Gaunt, London. Notice originally a set of observer wings, this one has had the "G" glider shield emblem placed over the "O."

1594393950700.png

1594394434267.png

I saw these on eBay but they didn't look like the normal JR Gaunt glider pilot wings I have photographs of in my reference so I didn't bid.   I'm not an expert on USAAC flight wings but a similar glider pilot wing sold on eBay a number of years ago as I kept a photograph of it below.

CopyGaunt.jpg

WWIIinterviews
48 minutes ago, Tonomachi said:

I saw these on eBay but they didn't look like the normal JR Gaunt glider pilot wings I have photographs of in my reference so I didn't bid.   I'm not an expert on USAAC flight wings but a similar glider pilot wing sold on eBay a number of years ago as I kept a photograph of it below.

CopyGaunt.jpg

I was suspicious at first but the more I would research into the wings, the more convinced I got. I am by no means an expert either. This is my first set of J.R. Gaunt wings as well, I know that they are not very common, but I have seen other types of wings converted by placing a bullet or a bomb over the original mark. The original wing seems very original to me and the 'G' emblem matches other glider wings I have. Do you have a set of wings where the original was replaced? I'd love to see any photos you have. Would love to see any other glider wings you have as well. I'm hoping to build a collection if possible.

I would tread carefully with these. 

1) If you look at the shield part of the wing, you will see what looks like a casting rather than a die struck piece.  This is rather obvious because the horizontal lines are not neat, clean or straight across the shield. 

2) The J R Gaunt hallmark is hard to see, and the quality wasn't that great in the originals, but this one looks like it is worse than normal.  I guess that is because the base wing is also a casting.

3) It is very rare to find STERLING JR Gaunt wings, but if they are sterling, they should have the proper British assay marks.  NOTE just "STERLING".

Frankly, I believe that this is one of the "museum quality reproductions" made by He Who Shall Not Be Named, using a cast JR Gaunt base wing and a cast "G" shield mated together on a bogus/non-WWII vintage "STERLING" hallmarked wing.

I replied in the other thread before seeing this thread:

For me this set of wings is a cast repro. The obverse detail is very weak, as is the maker mark. Further, they've used an Observer base wing, rather than a Pilot base wing, to attach the crude G shield to. This pattern of Gaunt observer base wing was not typically made from silver, let alone Sterling Silver, so the nice crisp Sterling stamp is another red flag.

Regards

Mike

Here is what I have in my reference for what a JR Gaunt made US glider pilot wing looks like and there is no hallmark.

Real Brit Made Glider Pilot Wing (1).jpg

Real Brit Made Glider Pilot Wing (2).jpg

WWIIinterviews
8 hours ago, Tonomachi said:

I believe this JR Gaunt US glider pilot wing is a fake.

JR Gaunt UNK (1).jpg

JR Gaunt UNK (2).jpg