Boyington "group"

juvatwad

Does anyone know the history on this group that sold in 2015? I'm curious, because it surfaced for significantly  less than it's sale price at the auction ((< 1/10th)). I picked it up basically for the patch and print. The patch is legit, although I'm sure he had a bunch of those. 

https://www.icollector.com/World-War-II-Aces-Memorabilia-Lot-Pertaining-to-Famed-Marine-Corps-Ace-Gregory-Pappy-Boyington-and_i17062007

manayunkman

I’m not familiar with the price of the patch but quite often people overpay at auction.

I see no provenance that the patch was ever Boyington's and not just picked up as a representative piece long ago.

The letter from the IAHOF regarding the patch being traded by Boyington’s wife is the provenance offered. 

pararaftanr2

In the late 1970s through early 1980s, Boyington toured the airshow circuit signing autographs and selling his books, art prints and reproduction photos and patches. It was a cottage industry to supplement his retirement income and played off the popularity of the "Black Sheep Squadron" TV show that aired from 1976-1978. Note the date of the letter in the last post. 

pappy.jpg

The patch was posted in the appropriate forum here and is real.

Also the letter states the patch was donated years prior to the 1976 date.

pararaftanr2

From looking at the information shown in the link you provided to the original auction of this "grouping", it looks like it was put together by a David Marshall from San Diego, CA in the mid-late 1970s. A Boyington autographed book from 1976, a print and book signed by Mike Kawato in 1979, and a patch, supplied by the International Aerospace Hall of Fame in San Diego in trade for a set of balloon pilot wings in 1976. Apparently the IAHF collection was subsequently destroyed by an arson fire in 1978.

manayunkman

Yes it was destroyed by fire in 1978.

I lived in SD at the time and volunteered to sift through the wreckage for anything salvageable.

They had a large selection AVG donated items and the Red Barons Pour le Merit.

It was a sad day.

The letter is much better than no provenance at all.

18 hours ago, manayunkman said:

I agree, and from your brief comment regarding some of the stuff they had, this patch having belonged to Boyington is more likely than not.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:58 PM, pararaftanr2 said:

From looking at the information shown in the link you provided to the original auction of this "grouping", it looks like it was put together by a David Marshall from San Diego, CA in the mid-late 1970s. A Boyington autographed book from 1976, a print and book signed by Mike Kawato in 1979, and a patch, supplied by the International Aerospace Hall of Fame in San Diego in trade for a set of balloon pilot wings in 1976. Apparently the IAHF collection was subsequently destroyed by an arson fire in 1978.

I agree with this as well, but it was worth it.

18 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Yes it was destroyed by fire in 1978.

I lived in SD at the time and volunteered to sift through the wreckage for anything salvageable.

They had a large selection AVG donated items and the Red Barons Pour le Merit.

It was a sad day.

Not really, it doesn't seriously increase value with people willing to pay those prices. I wouldn't pay more than sum of the parts for this group with that letter

The items resurfaced for less than 1/10th the auction selling price, so for a few hundred bucks, I was happy to pick it up.