Civil War Buckle Question

Blacksmith

Greetings all - I saw “Hostiles”, and now have to have one of these buckles.  🤕

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I (which is everybody) could tell me if it is good or not.

Thank you in advance.

8DD6A7B5-608A-48B0-AC2A-733FDFA71876.jpeg

1A02CB38-6C49-4E77-BB0C-5F7EC8AF00B3.jpeg

skypilot6670

That is an issued 1851 belt plate but it is later than civil war or Indian war. There are several well established civil war shops on the net that guarantee their wares. If interested PM me and I can give you some recommendations. If you’re looking for sometime to wear Hanover brass makes nice reproductions.  The NCO plate with silver wreath is a great looking plate.     Fraternally yours.   Mike

35 minutes ago, skypilot6670 said:

That is an issued 1851 belt plate but it is later than civil war or Indian war. There are several well established civil war shops on the net that guarantee their wares. If interested PM me and I can give you some recommendations. If you’re looking for sometime to wear Hanover brass makes nice reproductions.  The NCO plate with silver wreath is a great looking plate.     Fraternally yours.   Mike

I wear a Hanover Brass buckle everyday. Really like his buckles, high quality and a large selection. Here is the one I wear now. 

67022884-0C19-416F-8BB8-6F692F17A436.jpeg

12 hours ago, skypilot6670 said:

Thank you.  Any idea what era, and what one should pay for one like this?  

skypilot6670

Hello Blacksmith, I don’t know on a date or value on the belt plate. Campbell and O'Donnells  Book on American Military belt plates may have a description that includes dates but I don’t have a copy. Hopefully a member has a copy and will post the info.  Fraternally Yours Mike