120 MM tank round from 235th USMC birthday ball

Garandy

What you have is the stub case of either the heat or dart round. Most do not know the " case" itself is consumed when firing, and the piece you have is the only piece left after firing. I happen to have a very hard to find M831 complete heat round and container. image.jpeg.0c39c15eeef6edf8e6f3dfe3e29e883b.jpegimage.jpeg.1d9369e502753a70dcb9fd50ae85e949.jpegimage.jpeg.de82fed07813b915c5cca0b4f6fe811c.jpeg

Further analysis shows you have the stub case for the dart round, M829 Silver Bullet ( or earlier model). The primer tube is much longer on the dart round compared to the heat round. Ashame all the ink markings have been scrubbed from the head case. I will post more.image.jpeg.2b03103420b5c5de3dfdbf75307960d4.jpeg

Of course, nice piece of history,,,,,,in another year USMC tanks will be a thing of the past and future Marines will wonder what it is. For interest, the inking on my headcase stub HEAT round.image.jpeg.e0a3b3abae94fff98b2440706d5ae94c.jpeg

I will add it appears to me your stub case is July (G) 2004 manufacture. As for the news, it appears the USMC is on the road to becoming just a US Navy minor support group with no teethe. Gutted. What next? Disband the 82nd Airborne?...when that happens, ( I am ex 82nd- rumor mill around division for years- disbanding/ downsizing) and I suspect it may just happen- the destruction of our Military will be complete. 

Absolutely ridiculous and I have 2 sons who are former Marines. One was a radio operator for an artillery battery and the other a grunt. He got close to Abrams tanks and I don’t like the thought of no armor 

22 minutes ago, Garandy said:

2004 maybe used in Iraq?

Probably not. Most likely a CONUS range pick up. Troops coming home from the ME are patted down / inspected heavily. However, the stub cases and one penetrator dart I aquired was from a retired Colonel tanker, who had the balls to drive down range in Graffenburg ( ?) Germany and pick up a few that were not bent....that was back in the early 90's., he sold them to me a few years ago. Notice it has a German ID, " DM" number- in the early days of the 120mm, the US bought and used the German issued ( they developed the gun and ammo) until we could buy the rights and manufacture our own.image.jpeg.369636658d46d3187a5378f8116f4fb1.jpegimage.jpeg.3d3e7814c5d083fd039ff5909f1ad5fc.jpegimage.jpeg.2187df7df5455e7d85de3f056fb5750d.jpeg

A further note, the primer tube was manufactured in 2004, it could have been years before being installed into the stub case, without the ink markings present, ( inking gives the date the round was assembled), you have no idea when it was fired. Yours was obviously pulled from a crate full ( they gather them up and sell to scrap yards by the ton) and engraved for the " event". You need to get the " Silver Bullet" matching dart, they can still be found at surplus stores, now running about 200-300 bucks last I checked., getting harder to find but doable.