Arm repair chest M1917

Ndhunter1887

Ndhunter1887

Thought I’d post some pictures of my chest I bought about a month ago, see there is one on eBay for 1200$ is it really worth that? I would also like to fill it up so any help with that would be great also. 

7985F7F3-3714-4EB1-A052-E7E6D58DDE34.jpeg

ABA131AC-11A5-44DF-B31B-5B7B8976625B.jpeg

39FEB34D-18D1-49BD-82FC-914B3598CB7F.jpeg

A6616621-14A2-4599-ABDD-754D8414CA40.jpeg

9B2918D7-2506-45D3-A074-C28BE0A9BF83.jpeg

Worth it?  It is worth whatever someone will pay for one. On EBay sellers ask all kinds of crazy prices, but it is up to a buyer to bite. 

Fixbayonets!

I bought one a few months ago, paid $90 for it.  I don't believe they bring much more than that, I would bet you could find a real nice example for under $200.  Your chest gets a few extra points for having the paper parts list is in excellent shape and the metal box insert being present.  Neat find!

Rob

Ndhunter1887
11 hours ago, Fixbayonets! said:

I bought one a few months ago, paid $90 for it.  I don't believe they bring much more than that, I would bet you could find a real nice example for under $200.  Your chest gets a few extra points for having the paper parts list is in excellent shape and the metal box insert being present.  Neat find!

Rob

I paid 100$ for this the guy was asking 500$ and I told him yes they are asking 1200$ on eBay but that doesn’t mean it’s worth that and he sold it to me for a 100. Any tips on filling it up?

Fixbayonets!

I think you found a real nice one for $100.  I suppose you could buy some of the M1917 parts needed from a source such as Numrich Arms but it might be a costly endeavor.  Not sure how to go about finding the correct tools.  When I bought mine I never considered trying to fill the chest, just thought it looked cool as is.

Rob    

Ndhunter1887
1 hour ago, Fixbayonets! said:

I think you found a real nice one for $100.  I suppose you could buy some of the M1917 parts needed from a source such as Numrich Arms but it might be a costly endeavor.  Not sure how to go about finding the correct tools.  When I bought mine I never considered trying to fill the chest, just thought it looked cool as is.

Rob    

I saw one of the saws on ebay but I was to late for it sold for only 20$ tools seem to be hens teeth, And you need 6 sperm oil cans of which I cant even find one.

Ndhunter1887
3 hours ago, M1Garandy said:

A guy on the CMP forum has been working for seven years to fill one: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=125870

Hard to find some of the bits for sure. A buddy had an empty one when we were growing up. 

Hard part is gonna be even knowing what brand tools were used... I at least know what the saw looks like now.

Charlie Flick

That is a neat chest.  They pop up from time to time but invariably are missing the contents.

Here is an earlier thread on these chests that you might find informative.

illinigander

In the 1970's I bought 10 of them for $7 a unit in NW OHIO.  There must have been a stash of them found as at that time they were hard to sell.  A good sturdy box though.

illinigander

Ndhunter1887

1 hour ago, illinigander said:

In the 1970's I bought 10 of them for $7 a unit in NW OHIO.  There must have been a stash of them found as at that time they were hard to sell.  A good sturdy box though.

illinigander

Would have been nice but I wasnt even born at that point, Wouldn't mind a 1903 Springfield box either but that just means I need 12 non existant sperm oil cans.

Fixbayonets!

I just noticed on my chest that there are 2 lists of of contents labels, one placed directly over the other.  Not sure if the original label was damaged and they placed another over it or if revisions were made requiring a new label.  If it was because of revisions the contents of these chests may vary.  

Ndhunter1887
59 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

https://forums.g503.com/viewforum.php?f=48&sid=886458b1390671ca8b4276646b2105e4

the tool section on the G.503....they have good references for US tools, even outside the jeep arena...

looks like a good challenge...enjoy

That is going to be very useful I’ll have to do some research on that site! 

illinigander

There are also at least two different sizes of painted lettering stenciled  on the outside. 

illinigander

Ndhunter1887
2 hours ago, illinigander said:

There are also at least two different sizes of painted lettering stenciled  on the outside. 

illinigander

Interesting, I think I will dedicate this forum to this chest and will try to fill it full of items. Does anyone know what lock is needed? Below I will post a picture of the lock I think they used and the saw. If anyone has any leads on any parts for the box let me know.

Sale105-1910.jpg

OHOPDBv.jpg

illinigander

I think that the majority of the tools were "off the shelf" commercial tools bought in large quantity by the Ordnance Dept.  I think a lot of these tools have no US markings.  I have collected tools for a CW Battery Wagon and have a WWI blacksmith display using a Forge Limber and Caisson.  The Buffalo Forge limber tool box lists the needed tools, some by size and others by name.  It took four years of the "Bay" to locate the correct "Gypsy" vice for the limber.  I believe we will never know all we would like.  Trying to collect all the tools for various displays takes forever, but the finished product is great.

Still looking, illinigander

Ndhunter1887
On 7/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, phantomfixer said:

https://forums.g503.com/viewforum.php?f=48&sid=886458b1390671ca8b4276646b2105e4

the tool section on the G.503....they have good references for US tools, even outside the jeep arena...

looks like a good challenge...enjoy

do happen to know what brand tools they used? I know the saw is marked “ORD DEPT”

phantomfixer
8 hours ago, Ndhunter1887 said:

do happen to know what brand tools they used? I know the saw is marked “ORD DEPT”

in the tool section, pinned threads there is a list of known manufactures for the US in WWII...would be a good starting point...some manufactures coded their tools for wartime use, some coded for military issue, and some did not mark their tools differently from normal production codes...Alloy artifacts is also a great tool resource for coding and dates

http://alloy-artifacts.org/

illinigander

Thanks to Ndhunter for posting photos.  The following photos are of various papers found in my original 10 1917 Enfield chests.  One can only guess how many chests contained parts for the BOLO bayonet.  The sight envelope measures 4"x 6 1/2", and is just like the old-time pay envelopes.  I checked the RIA leather inspector list and the Mr. A.H. Park who filled the boxes was not among them. 

• 1 month later...
Ndhunter1887

Bought a 1917 edddystone dated 12-17 last Saturday so looks like I am going to try and fill the box up. Anyone have any idea on what brand tools they used?

illinigander

Ndhunter1887- My guess would be that it was hard enough getting any tools in the short time it would take to go from a few thousand, to two million soldiers etc., they would use every commercial source possible.  I don't think "America's Munitions" by B. Crowell  mentions hand tools at all, at least I do not remember if he did.  But good luck, I have "tooled" several chests, and it was many antique etc. shops, even with the tool list.  It took me a good while to even find out what a brad awl was before I could discover one for a Span/Am display.

illinigander

Ndhunter1887
17 hours ago, illinigander said:

Ndhunter1887- My guess would be that it was hard enough getting any tools in the short time it would take to go from a few thousand, to two million soldiers etc., they would use every commercial source possible.  I don't think "America's Munitions" by B. Crowell  mentions hand tools at all, at least I do not remember if he did.  But good luck, I have "tooled" several chests, and it was many antique etc. shops, even with the tool list.  It took me a good while to even find out what a brad awl was before I could discover one for a Span/Am display.

illinigander

So they didn't get tools marked "Ord dept."?