6th Vermont ID Disc

I have been enjoying some recent postings of ID discs so am posting my one example. 

Private Cyrus A. Chates of Westford was a 18-year-old farmer when he enlisted in Co. I, 6th Vermont Volunteer Infantry on September 9, 1861. He was mustered in on October 15 and appears on the company muster rolls through June-July 1862, when he was admitted to Satterlee U.S.A. General Hospital in West Philadelphia, PA. He died of typhoid fever on August 31, 1862 and was buried in Mount Moriah Cemetery in Philadelphia.

At the time of his death, his "Clothing, Etc." included the following:

Knapsacks: 1

Blanket: 2

Uniform Coat: 2

Shirts: 3

Bootees, prs.: 1

Stockings, prs.: 2

Money: $3.12

His father received the cash and presumably this WAR OF 1861 ID disc.

img382.jpg.c352dd8dccf676cab0b97d06bea47195.jpg

img383.jpg.165b8ea1cd1a17c6e6054f2f44103a12.jpg

skypilot6670

That is one beautiful I.D. Disc. I really like the color.A sad ending for him, disease was the number one killer during the war.  My compliments and thanks for posting a very cool disc. Fraternally Yours.  Mike

Mike,

Thanks and glad you liked the disc. I have enjoyed seeing examples in your collection.

Regards,

Jay

USCapturephotos

That’s a really nice disc Jay from a good unit. I had the good fortune of metal detecting a fall of ‘64 picket post of the Vermont Brigade near Winchester Va.

Paul

KASTAUFFER

NIce example! I have only ever owned one. I bought it when I was 13 from a coin dealer selling it from his junk box for 50c because it had a hole drilled in it.

Kurt