UH 60 Crash Axe Info Wanted

RWW

According to the -10, there is a crash axe mounted between the front seats.  Does anyone have a picture they can post showing the axe and its mounting?    Or,  is the axe a Spak or Gemtor?

Looks like the Gemtor ones, I forget what the PN is but its the standard one that has the number molded on the handle just like Gemtor.  I wanted to buy one myself one I saw a 90s contract on for sale but missed out on it.  The CH-54 also had a crash axe located in the cockpit.    Some of the ones Ive seen in the H-60 have the blade painted red.   The Axe is stored in like an aluminum blade cover.  I'll try and see if I can find pics.

I went through some of my UH60 pics I took while working for DOS as a Colombian Army advisor a few years ago....no go on the axe- but I am posting a few pics of what we flew down there, just for interest....Colombia uses a lot of non standard configured US equipment....those white red bundles are not coffee, but cocaine we recovered from the drug labs deep in the Amazon. The one with the .50 titanium GAU, rockets and .50 Browning was a special,Colombian Air Force model....my favorite.image.jpeg.d6366255d54455b9cfa52d9b84cc7953.jpegimage.jpeg.a3c6a3a2f794f9c0cbce937ddfe5305f.jpeg

Thanks for looking for photos, and the photos posted.  There are two Gemtor versions,  the D42 with the hole in the blade and a smooth cutting edge and the D56 which has a solid head and serrated blade.  I am actually looking for one of the brackets the axe mounts in or a part number for it. I have seen them painted red, black, and left bare metal.  Any idea which model

axe is used?

DSCN2790.JPG.17fb3ed6501354936453b2bc4073d93f.JPG

The ones Ive seen for the H-60 and CH-54 were the solid type blade,  not with the hole.  And Ive ended my search in a dead end for the holder.  I think its part of the aircraft technically so maybe the H-60 Mx manual or illustrated parts manual might have it listed?  I tried finding one online once with no such luck.  The axe itself did come back to Sikorsky Aircraft one time when I looked up the numbers from that box I saw with the brand new axe in it.   Still kicking myself for not buying it before it was too late.

Not the best pic but I noticed it is just visible.  To the right on the pile of SKRAM bags you can see a vertical piece of metal sticking up.  That the pick side of the holder, you can also make out some of the nylon retention strap to hold the axe securely inside the holder.  It goes blade down, pick up.  Took that pic in a UH-60M from the OH ARNG.  Can see how nice and clean it is inside being a brand new bird.

OHARNGskram.jpg

Do a Google search for "aircraft crash axe."  If this is the same crash axe, you have multiple different ways top get one ranging from eBay, through Amazon and on to various aircraft parts retailers on up to various manufacturers.

I just retired from 36+ years in civilian aircraft maintenance, mainly corporate jets & turboprops & helicopters, and they all have the same basic crash axe.  Some have a smooth blade, some have serrated teeth on them, but they are the same crash axe in everything I have worked on.  

I don't know if the UH-60 axe is the same, but the handle sure looks the same.

Hope this helps.

I have several of the crash axes I have found over the years, they are pretty easy to find. What I am looking for is the mounting bracket for them.  All the times I have flown in 60's, I never paid any attention to them.  I flew in the left side gunners pocket, so I would climb in then strap in.  All the pictures I took were out the window or of other people in the cabin. After Mohawks post, I had an idea of what and where to look.  Below are a couple of pictures I found online.  I am not sure what country the one with the axe on the wall is from.

DSC00706.jpg

c94607ece26d91d7fb41c8b7217925ea.jpg

The wall is an interesting spot.  Does Australia have them?  The guys camo outside kind of reminds me of the stuff they used to wear.  Even the GPFAK pouch is that camo inside the aircraft.  That M model pic is interesting, pretty damn good shot for you with the seats and other crap removed.  Looks like the case consists of 3 parts, a blade guard and the 2 securing straps  with mounting hardware.

• 1 month later...

I have made a few of these, when they weren’t available in the supply system. It was during the lean Obama years. 

• 2 months later...

You did well! The handle looks good and the blade isn't bad either. I have seen a lot worse ones.  A good sanding and repainting and it would look great!

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2020 at 11:50 PM, mohawkALSE said:

The wall is an interesting spot.  Does Australia have them?  The guys camo outside kind of reminds me of the stuff they used to wear.  Even the GPFAK pouch is that camo inside the aircraft.

Yep.  Aussie bird.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:02 AM, RWW said:

You did well! The handle looks good and the blade isn't bad either. I have seen a lot worse ones.  A good sanding and repainting and it would look great!

I don't think I ever saw a used one! 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 10:18 AM, RWW said:

According to the -10, there is a crash axe mounted between the front seats.  Does anyone have a picture they can post showing the axe and its mounting?    Or,  is the axe a Spak or Gemtor?

So Ive been doing more research on this as I located an axe I might pick up locally.   Apparently the red blade axes were made by a company that was local to me called HAR Inc.  Which would be Mfr Code 19147 and the Axe P/N 95715 which is also 56D6221.   Now I couldn't find a separate case for the UH-60 as it looks like its more a factory made part with the aircraft, I did find a case listed for the CH-47.   Case Assembly, Axe  NSN 1680-00-859-2710

They are good tools!  HAR Inc. does business as Mercury Machine & Manufacturing Company on Stelzer Rd.  The "official" nomenclature for the axe is: AX, PICK HEAD and the NSN is:

4210-00-243-0863.  There have been several companies that have made them over the years.  Another is Rotair Industries in Bridgeport Connecticut.  Gemtor is probably the largest manufacturer of them. I still don't know why some are red and some are black, and some are bare metal. Maybe the Air Force wants them one color, the Army another???

The other style with the cutout in the blade has an Part Number of 42D 8331, an NSN of 5110-00-814-2027, and is called "AX, Crash".  I have several of this style.

1 hour ago, RWW said:

They are good tools!  HAR Inc. does business as Mercury Machine & Manufacturing Company on Stelzer Rd.  The "official" nomenclature for the axe is: AX, PICK HEAD and the NSN is:

4210-00-243-0863.  There have been several companies that have made them over the years.  Another is Rotair Industries in Bridgeport Connecticut.  Gemtor is probably the largest manufacturer of them. I still don't know why some are red and some are black, and some are bare metal. Maybe the Air Force wants them one color, the Army another???

The other style with the cutout in the blade has an Part Number of 42D 8331, an NSN of 5110-00-814-2027, and is called "AX, Crash".  I have several of this style.

Didnt realize I forget the NSN for the Ax as well.  HAR/Mercury had an interesting location, Stelzer Rd is right at the west end of the runways at KCMH,  no surprise any aircraft items are made near by.  NAA/Rockwell used to be located right by there as well.  

Not sure on the multiple colors.  Ive seen plain black ones in old Sikorsky CH-54s back from the CT ARNG, yet seems the UH-60s have red painted ones.  I think Ive seen some red ones come out of USAF aircraft as well.   There was actually another company in Columbus that made the open style blade axes as well called DL Auld Co.