Help with USN CPO Uniform

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I recently picked up this white USN CPO uniform and it has me confused.  I am far from an expert on USN insignia & thought some of you Navy guys could possibly shed some light.  I am confused on how to date this uniform with the combination of insignia.  It has the WWI service chevron that I believe the regs did away with in 1922 but I think the rate may post date the WWI -1920's era?  If that is correct I suppose he could have worn the service chevron post 1922 against regulations?  Any help nailing this down would be appreciated, thanks!

Rob   

cpo1.jpg

Neither the WW1service chevron, nor the single service stripes are for white uniforms. They appear to have been added on. What ever is being used as a service stripes, along with being the wrong color, is much too long. The top edge should line up with the trailing edge of the rating badge, with the other end 2 inches above the cuff. It should be 7 inches in length, blue wool felt on white backing fabric. 

Fixbayonets!

So do you think the rate could possibly be original to the jacket?  Since someone has enhanced it with the WWI chevron & service stripe do you think it's best to remove them?  Thanks for the help!

Rob  

The service stripes just doesn’t look right. It is NOT right for whites. It doesn’t look like a legit service stripe. And, it is not on correctly. As for the WW1 chevron, I don’t know for sure what the Navy did for whites. They may have used the one for blues, as there were not that many issued and they were very short lived. 

Yeah, the eagle is post 1940. For before that, it would be looking the other way. Hadn’t noticed that. 

I knew the WW1 chevron was worn on whites, I wasn’t sure it there was a chevron on white backing fabric, or if they simply used the one for the blues on both uniforms. Either way, the crow is post 1940.