James Healy WWI ace 1920s tunic

juvatwad

I recently acquired this interwar uniform that belonged to James Healy. He was an ace with the 147th Aero Squadron, then went on to serve in WWII. In the photocopied picture of him, he appears to be wearing the same tunic.

healy1.jpg

healy2.jpg

healy3.jpg

healy4001.jpg

What a great wing and a great uniform! Thank you for sharing it with us. I would agree that it looks like the blouse that you have is the same one worn by Colonel Healy in the photograph. I wonder if he had stopped wearing this particular uniform prior to promotion to full colonel, as the brass appears to be for the rank of Major.

Allan

rathbonemuseum.com

i really love those interwar uniforms. Late 1920s style wing with US/Wing set up before they moved the US to the top of the lapel in the 30s. Thanks for sharing!

rustywings

That's a beautiful and tough to find 1920's era four-inch wide bullion USAAC Pilot wing attached to James Healy's uniform!  Thank you for sharing those excellent images.

What I find neat about collecting early post WWI Pilot wings is the wide variety of sizes and feathering patterns available to such a relatively small group of interwar-period Pilots. Those early bold four to five inch wide wings certainly made a statement!  It wasn't until the early 1930's that the USAAC began restricting and standardizing the size and design of those aerial badges. 

Juvatwad, I have a loose early 1920's bullion Pilot wing which I believe is nearly identical to the example sewn to your uniform.  Here's a couple of images to illustrate what the reverse of your wing likely looks like...      

1920's Bullion Pilot 1.jpg

1920's Bullion Pilot2.jpg