Unknown SVN War era USAF maroon beret

Tonomachi

Per my reference the only unit in the USAF that wore a maroon beret during the Vietnam War was Pararescue.  The USAF Combat Control Team did not change from a blue beret to a scarlet beret until after the war.  This does look like an original period SVN made beret but not a Pararescue beret.  Does anyone know which USAF unit may have worn this beret?

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (17).jpg

s-l1600 (19).jpg

This beret sold on eBay for $180.50 yesterday so someone must known something about this beret.  Did USAF riggers wear a maroon beret?

Just came across another SVN War period made USAF maroon beret that has no connection with USAF pararescue.  The USAF 823rd Red Horse Squadron currently wear maroon or red baseball caps which explains the color of the beret they wore during the Vietnam War.  So it would appear that at least three different USAF units wore a maroon beret during the Vietnam War.  

Red.jpg

Red4.jpg

Red5.jpg

The only airforce personnel that I know go to jump school are PJ's and Combat controllers. I think the first beret may be. Combat controller, CCT or sometimes called Air commando. The are a rather obscure special operator used to control air strikes. They wear a scarlet red beret, although I don't know when that started, and like many spec ops, may have been unofficial at first. With the flash on the right, he may have been a RVN advisor. This is conjecture because I have never seen a beret exactly like this. Rob

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Woodymyster

Combat Controllers, CCT, wore black berets during the war.  I believe they switched to maroon in the 80's.  

vintageproductions

During Vietnam anyone could walk into a tailor shop and but whatever color beret they wanted, and have whatever they wanted sewn on it.

As collectors we sometimes way overthink things.

• 1 year later...
Rich Eubanks
On 7/18/2020 at 1:21 PM, Woodymyster said:

Combat Controllers, CCT, wore black berets during the war.  I believe they switched to maroon in the 80's.  

Actually, the CCT beret before the current one was dark blue. 

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Red Markers, Forward Air Controllers attached to the ARVN Airbone Division, also wore red berets.