Jump to content

Jack Angola 1 Day Military Auction


manayunkman

Recommended Posts

Technically, at least in the Marine Corps, uniforms are supposed to be stored without insignia or ribbons and only put on for wear.

 

So, just for conversation...let's say you found a Marine uniform to a historically significant individual...MOH, commander of a famous campaign, whatever...devoid of all insignia. Would you just display the slick blouse as is? No ribbons, no EGAs?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of the most depressing threads I have ever read on any forum in 10 years.

Owen


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
huntssurplus
15 minutes ago, Brig said:

Technically, at least in the Marine Corps, uniforms are supposed to be stored without insignia or ribbons and only put on for wear.

 

So, just for conversation...let's say you found a Marine uniform to a historically significant individual...MOH, commander of a famous campaign, whatever...devoid of all insignia. Would you just display the slick blouse as is? No ribbons, no EGAs?

 

If that's how I found it then yes, unless I also found the original insignia. 

 

I just like stuff with that original look I guess. Not a fan of stuff added after the fact. With that example I can see what you mean, but I just prefer it the other way. 

Hunt

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was careful to mention both disclosing any restoration to potential buyers as well as having photographic evidence. I too, enjoy the "personal" aspect of collecting. Don't forget that vet's also wore their issued clothing as civilian garb after being dishcharged, and removed patches and insignia, buttons, etc., to do so. I appreciate the fact that you choose to leave things "as is". Again, I don't collect dress uniforms specifically, but if I go to an estate sale, and due to theft, the estate company removes the "salad", then I buy the uniform from one room, and then buy the insignia from the jewelry case, only to find that another has purchased his ribbon bars, I feel after having examined what I missed out on, to replace them with correct matching ones, is not doing a disservice to the vet nor their sacrifice, and make it clear that when offered for sale, the buyer knows this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
huntssurplus
2 minutes ago, Matt-M said:

I was careful to mention both disclosing any restoration to potential buyers as well as having photographic evidence. I too, enjoy the "personal" aspect of collecting. Don't forget that vet's also wore their issued clothing as civilian garb after being dishcharged, and removed patches and insignia, buttons, etc., to do so. I appreciate the fact that you choose to leave things "as is". Again, I don't collect dress uniforms specifically, but if I go to an estate sale, and due to theft, the estate company removes the "salad", then I buy the uniform from one room, and then buy the insignia from the jewelry case, only to find that another has purchased his ribbon bars, I feel after having examined what I missed out on, to replace them with correct matching ones, is not doing a disservice to the vet nor their sacrifice, and make it clear that when offered for sale, the buyer knows this.

 

i will say my earlier comments were a bit on the aggressive side. I meant no disrespect to those who restore uniforms. I just prefer leaving things as is. Everyone has their preference. I wouldn't say restoration is a disservice to vets either. My main point is that no matter what you do, you can never get pinpoint accuracy on restoration, and that is why i prefer to leave things as is. How the vet used it after the war can even be seen as part of its history. 

 

Too put it lightly, if you buy it you can do what you want with it. I have no platform to judge what you do with something. Just because I don't like to restore uniforms doesn't mean you can't. If you do it honestly because you appreciate the history then it's fine. Like said 99% of people who restore a uniform always represent it as such when they are selling it. I just don't like restoring things because I personally prefer leaving it as the vet left it. 

 

Hunt

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

 

i will say my earlier comments were a bit on the aggressive side. I meant no disrespect to those who restore uniforms. I just prefer leaving things as is. Everyone has their preference. I wouldn't say restoration is a disservice to vets either. My main point is that no matter what you do, you can never get pinpoint accuracy on restoration, and that is why i prefer to leave things as is. How the vet used it after the war can even be seen as part of its history. 

 

Too put it lightly, if you buy it you can do what you want with it. I have no platform to judge what you do with something. Just because I don't like to restore uniforms doesn't mean you can't. If you do it honestly because you appreciate the history then it's fine. Like said 99% of people who restore a uniform always represent it as such when they are selling it. I just don't like restoring things because I personally prefer leaving it as the vet left it. 

 

Hunt

Unless you have personally watched every uniform you own, from 1945 to today, there is ZERO way you know if it’s all “original”, whatever that means.

 

As you essentially said, to each their own, but who the heck knows what has happened to these things in the last 75 years?

 

I’ve known multiple veterans that tossed / lost their stuff after the war, and many years later got uniforms made as replacements - even a couple of M-42 jump jackets.  These are original jackets, with original insignia, made for parades, VFW hangouts, etc.  When they passed, these jackets went in yard sales, got donated, or ended up in antique stores, auctions, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
huntssurplus
9 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Unless you have personally watched every uniform you own, from 1945 to today, there is ZERO way you know if it’s all “original”, whatever that means.

 

As you essentially said, to each their own, but who the heck knows what has happened to these things in the last 75 years?

 

I’ve known multiple veterans that tossed / lost their stuff after the war, and many years later got uniforms made as replacements - even a couple of M-42 jump jackets.  These are original jackets, with original insignia, made for parades, VFW hangouts, etc.  When they passed, these jackets went in yard sales, got donated, or ended up in antique stores, auctions, etc. 

 

You don't know if it is original when you get it. But there is a much better chance that if you leave it as found it is the same as it was in 1945 then if you add stuff to it. I see your argument on that front though. Because you really can't, and like you said there is a very likely chance it was changed. 


If you get a uniform that is bare of any insignia though, and have a photograph showing certain insignia was worn, and then add that insignia to it, even with the evidence the vet still didn't wear that insignia. When I say original, it means the original jacket, insignia, etc the vet wore. Like you said, sometimes they replace stuff over the years cause it gets lost. Does that mean the new stuff is the original? No, it's replacements like everything else. But to discount every uniform because some vets did that is wrong. So no you can't know for sure. but like I said there is at least some chance it is original as the vet wore it in 1945 if you leave it as is opposed to adding insignia which puts it at a 0% chance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
wartimecollectables.com
On 7/22/2020 at 9:09 AM, Bugme said:

 

And this is the rub, he was banned here, he has been caught embellishing groupings and attacked those who called him out. This same thing happened in his T.R. days and followed him into his U.S. interest. Personally, there is no desire on my part to own anything he has ever had. This is sad because, there are some nice and well provenanced items in his collection. However, there is no way to determine which one is legit and which one is embellished thus, all of it becomes questionable.

 

Definitely caveat emptor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Lot 0192 Booth and 0261 Panaro were sold as he got them from me. So while his actions are known and noted, I was pleased to see these 2 were not added to or embellished. I suppose since they’re not glamorous there isn’t much you can add to fancy them up anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.