Conetta Fighting Knife

Joefin18

I have recently acquired a Vietnam Conetta “Kabar”, can anyone tell me about the history of Conetta themself? I’ve looked online and in this forum but not much is said for what this company is known for, what they produced before/after Vietnam, and how they acquired the contract. I know they made knives from 1968-1970, why did they stop after only two years? The knife I bought appears to be almost mint (despite the photos making it seem like the finish is off), is this blade parkerized or blued? One last follow up, is there any reference material you guys would suggest for MK2/1219c2 knives from WWII-present? Thank you for the help.

8BA44F92-B10F-445E-B941-A13D5A69D9CA.jpeg

F97419AC-E6E6-4331-A515-83A88310C348.jpeg

630B31CB-188E-4F75-83C3-C74A155B6DAE.jpeg

A03FB2F4-1D70-43BD-9A18-31C25D435E4B.jpeg

EFEEB630-B502-4747-8D6A-637103A47495.jpeg

Doctorofwar

Conetta also had a contract for the M-7 bayonet during the Vietnam era.  
Pursue Frank Trzaska’s website usmilitaryknives.com for info, I believe I remember some info on the Conetta company during one of his “knife knotes” entries.  Government contracts are often just based upon low bid, and other contractors for these knives have had even shorter runs- Utica Cut Co and MSI for example.  
There is a lack of good printed reference material on post war 1219c2 pattern knives in my opinion.  Frank's website is probably your best resource to find answers to the questions you’re after.  

The Conetta Manufacturing Company was located in Stamford, Connecticut.

Frank Trazka wrote an excellent article about "The Post War Combat Mark 2" in the January 2005 issue of Knife Magazine that includes detailed information about the  Conetta Manufacturing Company.

The blade finish on the MIL-K-20227 Conetta is Parkerized. 

Good reference books are the M.H. Cole books, Silvey WWII Book, and Bill Walters big book.

12-CONETTA MK2=crop.jpg

You can find Franks write up on his web page under "archived knife knotes" go to knotes 3 and it's about a 1/3 of the way down the page, or you can do a find search, just type in Conetta.

Bren-Dan is another name they made products under.

Conetta Made Mk2 knife and M7 bayonet, but a Mk2 Bayonet is a fake commissioned by Sarco from left over parts. Made another thread on it but figured since there were multiple bidders over $100 and ultimately it sold for $370 shipped and there are others listed for $300 buy it now people should be made aware.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk