Unknown M4 bayonet maker

beerdragon54

beerdragon54

Picked up this plastic handle M4 bayonet with only this marking. Any idea the maker?2f7e07a9e0ae21b90d5d80581049fc7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

beerdragon54- I suspect that all of us are at a loss on the stamped guard of your pictured M4. I have never seen it before.  It is reminiscent  of the types of stamps seen of Japanese WW2 bayonets.  But matches nothing I can find on internet. SKIP

beerdragon54

Thanks skip. I will try and take the grips off and take some pictures of it all around in case it sheds any light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked different sites mostly bayonet stamps of various countries. All the Greek M4s that I have seen are leather handled, markings on blade, S.Korean stamps is a lot like our 50s era DAS stamp,  an eagle, they do have on some a circle w/ line through it. But so far nothing like the one pictured. We as a group will figure it out at some point.  SKIP

I don’t recall seeing this before but that finish, stamp, alignment, and font all look cheap and bad to me regardless of the quality of the actual blade. I don’t know what the circle is supposed to be unless a poor knock off of the ordnance escutcheon.

All known manufacturers had their name or initials on the guard. I believe this is someone’s reproduction.

Possibly a foreign product for a country using large numbers of carbines but more likely the former given the style and misalignment of the individual characters. Though it may be good metal and useful for display or reenacting. Or home defense.😉 Only more research will yield a proof positive answer.

• 2 weeks later...

The guard retainer bar looks really bad, but at least it's not spot welded. One thing I did notice was the guard is a WW2 type guard, not the 50s wider version. The mystery continues!  SKIP

A rubber handled M4 with the stamping under discussion can be seen in a thread started by bayonetman on June 8, 2015. Title of the thread is "M4 U S/ Not U S with rubber handle"  located on page 47 of Index.

Bayonet illustrated is from a French site and appears to be attributed to French Indochina.

At first glance the marking which remains a mystery looks like a superimposed XO or OX. 

post-66-0-68364800-1433875731.jpg

post-66-0-70822800-1433866528.jpg

post-66-0-89858400-1433866473.jpg

remman- WOW! That is very interesting. the mark sure looks identical to the one in question, at least to me.  Checked my rubber handled M4s for mark, but mine are recycled M3 blades w/ 1950s guards. Thanks for showing, mystery could be getting closer to being solved. SKIP