Binder of WWII field manuals, and USS Arizona telegram.

militaria360

militaria360

I picked this up years ago,

It's a US navy travel regulations binder, repurposed to hold field manuals.

It’s interesting but does it have any value?

Most pages are stamped Lohning, T.D. and some have revisions pasted in.

Was it normal to have field manuals put in a binder, and what’s up with the revisions?

There’s also a telegram I’m assuming sent from USS Arizona, by the same person, that was in the book.

Thanks for any help. 

phto20-0906-GSF-900Q75.jpg

phto20-0907-GSF-900Q75.jpg

phto20-0908-GSF-900Q75.jpg

phto20-0910-GSF-900Q75.jpg

phto20-0911-GSF-900Q75.jpg

Rakkasan187

It was common to put multiple manuals into binders, These took up a lot of space and in order to compress the large volume of regulations they were put in numerical order. The manuals would have been located in the clerks office or training offices to be used by the unit. Based on the name and designation of this Marine, he may have been a clerk for the commander or First Sergeant of a Marine detachment on a ship, and it may have been he was a member of the Marine Detachment aboard the USS Arizona, (pre Pearl Harbor)...

As far as the revisions.. It was also common to add the revisions to already bound manuals, and in many cases the revisions were "cut and pasted" into the section where the regulation was updated/revised. It was easier to cut and paste rather than remove the manual and replace with a newer version,,, UNLESS a large majority of the regulation was rewritten and revised then it would be posted and it would replace the outdated manual. Most of the revisions were sent in the form of a shortened manual which only had the revisions included that needed to be updated in the regulation/manuals, again due to the sheer size and volume of the books it was more cost effective to just print and send out the revisions… Keep in mind these had to be distributed throughout the entire force, whether on land or on ship...

If you look at the revisions that were pasted over the original regulation information you may be able to pick up the changes. In some cases it was easy to see the update and in other cases a simple word may have been omitted or added.

In most field manuals and or regulations in the front you may see the updated revisions listed but this was done much later on. In know in Army field manuals and regulations that were printed during WW2 and before the inserts and revisions were placed in the front of the manuals..

The USS Arizona document is interesting, looks to be some type of telegram message or something announcing a visit to Bertha Zinng... I would think anything related to the USS Arizona prior to Dec. 7, 1941 would have interest give the circumstances and fate of the ship... 

You have the name of the Marine and it is possible that he can be researched...

Leigh   

manayunkman

I saw an Army manual like that.

The same kind of binder but no cut and paste.

It belonged to a CIC agent who interviewed people for a variety of different reasons.

The manual was actually several different manuals in one.

One of the manuals was about souvenirs and what you could confiscate.

Another explains how to interview and another how to photograph captured enemy equipment.

Having worked in an infantry battalion S-3 section (Operations and Training) for a while I can attest to the fact that revisions arrived almost daily.  I can't speak with any authority as to how navy and marine manuals, regs, etc. were revised, but in the Army we would receive changes/revisions that included anything from a word here and there, spelling corrections, entire paragraphs, or entire pages.  It was the responsibility of each section to revise their own manuals which took hours.  You would have to find the relevant word on a specific page & paragraph, draw a line through it, then neatly write, in ink the corrected word, add or cross out the appropriate letter, remove the old page and insert the new one, etc.  Then you wrote on the page that was revised something to the effect of Change 23 to FM 23-9 Posted 6 JUN 73 and write your initials.  This was done for every change.  I am quite sure that the switch to digital manuals made life a lot easier for whoever was posting the changes.

• 11 months later...