Marbles Gladstone Knife I.D.?

SolWarrior

SolWarrior

Hello:   I came across this Marbles knife on the bay. I've never owned a Marbles knife and really liked this particular one for its spear point type blade, fuller and flat handle. I came in second on the bidding so lost it and could kick myself for not going more. I was wondering if anyone here has ever seen or knows of this model knife by Marbles? The seller thought it might be a rare one, and I have never seen one before so, I thought I'd ask you guys for any info. Thanks 

Marbles.jpg

Marbles Gladstone.jpg

Marbles Gladstone Mich..jpg

I've never seen one. I'm wondering if it was ground to that shape. Looking through old Marbles ads there doesn't appear to be any. I have books I can check tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

SolWarrior

Hello Capt14k - It does look like the blade might have been modified. If that's the case, whomever did it did an excellent job.

Hello Capt14k - It does look like the blade might have been modified. If that's the case, whomever did it did an excellent job.

I agree it is well done and the sheath shape matches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SolWarrior

You read my mind. My next question was going to be, is the sheath original or was it custom made way back when the blade was modified?

Charlie Flick

It looks to me like a heavily modified Marbles Ideal pattern blade.  The stacked leather handle is probably original but has been reshaped to give it flat sides.  The guard has been reduced in size.  I can't see the butt well enough to know what it is but it is not the original butt.  It is well done but is substantially different from the way it came out of the factory.  I pulled the image below off of the 'net to illustrate what a typical Ideal pattern looks like with a similar sheath.  The Ideal was made in a variety of blade lengths.

Marbles Ideal.jpg

The sheath is a generic sheath that was used by a number of manufacturers for that same blade length.  It is not a custom made item.  Most cutlery companies purchased their sheaths from leather goods suppliers so one can see essentially the same sheath being used by Marbles, Camillus, Colonial and other makers of that era.  (Some Marbles blades are also found with keeper strap snaps marked Marbles.)

Regards,

Charlie 

SolWarrior

I considered what it woukd take to modify a blade that much as I had never seen one like it before. Not that I know much about Marble knives to begin with. However, I figured it must have taken lots of patience, or some real heavy wheel grinding that could have messed with the temper. That made me hold back on my bid. If I were five, no, 10 years younger I might have gone all in.

The more I read what you guys are saying the better I'm feeling about coming in second on this bid. I had decided $125 total with shipping & taxes, but no more.

The guy who worked on this knife did a fine job but, I was always concerned about the tempering if it was indeed heavily modified.

Here's the link -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Marbles-Gladstone-MI-USA-Fixed-Blade-Knife-Leather-Handle-9-5-034-/283931742058?hash=item421ba68f6a%3Ag%3AjUMAAOSwBfhe-nj2&nma=true&si=D1JL%2FgCfDA1VDQvh4WVdLf3ljsc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557k

Thanks, Charlie

s-l1600(4).jpg

s-l1600(5).jpg

I agree with Charlie that it looks like it started out as a typical Marble's Ideal knife.  As far as where and when it received these modifications we'll never know.  Can't rule out the possibility that the knife was modified to this configuration in the factory for someone known to them who was going to war.  That's why we say if only the knife could talk.  But they can't so we also say buy the knife and not the story.

SolWarrior, I think I would also have limited my max bid to around what you did.  You never know how much the winner was willing to spend for a novel knife, unless they tell you.

The tang stamp might give a clue as to the approximate time frame for when it was made.  I'm not an expert on Marbles knives and the little research I've attempted leads me to contradictory statements, so I'm posting this picture from the auction in case some member(s) might have more experience with Marbles.

881007077_MarblesIdealtangstamp.jpg.b4b9e8ba58770799b941b738f529689f.jpg

Looking at the size of the pommel nut in relation to the pommel I would say the entire knife was modified by someone. There is nothing in Marbles books about a knife like that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

SolWarrior

Sactroop, thanks for sharing your keen eye and words of wisdom. I pretty much go by those words - "buy the knife and not the story".

Capt14k, nice observation on the serifs for dating and the pommel vs pommel nut. 👌 Dating by serifs works on Schrade USA fixed blades too.

I guess this knife has been thoroughly dissected. Thanks guys!

• 9 months later...

hi,

I just bought this one at an auction.

According to the research i already made, i think it was made before WW1.

What do you think?

His condition is very good , it just need a good cleaning and sharpening. 

msa1.jpg

msa2.jpg

msa3.jpg