A Great Tool For Helmet Collectors

B24AT6

For quite some time I, like probably most of you, have used a jewelers loupe to inspect painted helmets. Now I’m sure there are some of you that have already caught on to this, but I just recently purchased a USB/WiFi microscope from Amazon and have found it to be an incredible tool for judging helmets.

Obviously my first thing once I had the microscope out of the box was to inspect a few helmets I already own, and one of the first was one that I felt was good but it presented some questions. After looking at it with this microscope I have no doubts about the helmet, and have found my new favorite tool for inspecting helmets. An added bonus is that because it connects directly to your phone or computer it will work at home or out on the hunt, and let’s you take photos and videos directly so you can upload them to the forum if you wish.

I have included photos of the microscope, the helmet, and a sample of what the microscope can do. If you’re interested here is the Amazon link, and it’s currently on sale: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PVMRZQH?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

B984BDF6-B93F-4C68-8B0C-AE0E7398B744.jpeg

CA44327F-D841-4750-B033-9491E3F2A6B8.jpeg

54057F03-5E48-486F-B913-FA4BAD24120F.jpeg

Admin Warning: I cleaned up this mess now, let's get back to the discussion and end the foolish talk.

There was no mess only a super sensitive op
Who was easily offended and made a stink and went crying to the moderators about a post I did showing the first guy on the forums to use a microscope Outing Major Militaria dealers selling Fake Militaria form WW2.

He talks like a sailor.
Sailors are salty.

You can delete this if you want Bugme but I tell you what.
Censorship is what hinders learning.
Go ahead and aid members from learning about the dark side of this hobby

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These microscopes aren't just good for helmet collectors...but militaria collectors of all types. They're handy for seeing tool marks on the edges of badges, and have been particularly useful in studying characteristics of enamel badges. I've had one of these for six months, and Dirk has had one for awhile, as well.

These things are the future of debunking fakes in the hobby

1 minute ago, Brig said:

These microscopes aren't just good for helmet collectors...but militaria collectors of all types. They're handy for seeing tool marks on the edges of badges, and have been particularly useful in studying characteristics of enamel badges. I've had one of these for six months, and Dirk has had one for awhile, as well.

These things are the future of debunking fakes in the hobby

I had not even thought about that, but I can definitely see how it would be useful for badges and enamel work!

I have looked at some medal engraving and thought that would be another good use for one of these.

2 minutes ago, B24AT6 said:

I had not even thought about that, but I can definitely see how it would be useful for badges and enamel work!

I have looked at some medal engraving and thought that would be another good use for one of these.

They would be useful for engraving, as well, I would agree

These have been used with great success on transparent and translucent enamels to debunk older fakes. Notably, the Hitler Youth Distinguished Foreigner badges and the French/Norwegian Administrative badges. Both have largely been held to be original and needless to say it is causing quite the fury with some of the old hands who spent thousands on their pieces decades ago, much like the debunking of the Champagne runes did. These penetrate through such enamels and allow one to really see the composite of them, as well as the metal work beneath. However, they don't do much good with opaque enamels but do show the metal edges surrounding them, such as with Norwegian NS badges and China Marine diamonds

2 minutes ago, Brig said:

These have been used with great success on transparent and translucent enamels to debunk older fakes. Notably, the Hitler Youth Distinguished Foreigner badges and the French/Norwegian Administrative badges. Both have largely been held to be original and needless to say it is causing quite the fury with some of the old hands who spent thousands on their pieces decades ago, much like the debunking of the Champagne runes did. These penetrate through such enamels and allow one to really see the composite of them, as well as the metal work beneath. However, they don't do much good with opaque enamels but do show the metal edges surrounding them, such as with Norwegian NS badges and China Marine diamonds

Wow, I was familiar with the Champagne rune fakes, but I did not know there was a similar controversy brewing amongst badge collectors. Hopefully as these tools become more widespread we can make the job for fakers that much harder.

So your a member of the Waf
You know joes groundbreaking research

Wow, I was familiar with the Champagne rune fakes, but I did not know there was a similar controversy brewing amongst badge collectors. Hopefully as these tools become more widespread we can make the job for fakers that much harder.

You should research
Joe rivitt
He blew the whole thing open with his research that has been censored here on the usmf

16 minutes ago, kammo-man said:

You should research
Joe rivitt
He blew the whole thing open with his research that has been censored here on the usmf

Not censored, your link was in poor taste and then you chose to take it downhill Owen, not me.  Joe's work on revealing the Champagne Rune scam is well known and the subject of a pinned thread in the helmet section. You know your stuff and I bow to your expertise on camo but, playing nice goes a long way with me and you know that. Being rude goes no where with me, and you know that as well.

46 minutes ago, kammo-man said:

So your a member of the Waf
You know joes groundbreaking research

Jo has his own enamel militaria forum where he posts his research, and also frequents the HJ Research forum

Not censored, your link was in poor taste and then you chose to take it downhill Owen, not me.  Joe's work on revealing the Champagne Rune scam is well known and the subject of a pinned thread in the helmet section. You know your stuff and I bow to your expertise on camo but, playing nice goes a long way with me and you know that. Being rude goes no where with me, and you know that as well.

For the record
I did Not post a link to his page
I posted a screenshot of one of his posts.
It’s up to a member on their own free will if they want to investigate that picture.
Plain and simple

1 minute ago, kammo-man said:

For the record
I did Not post a link to his page
I posted a screenshot of one of his posts.
It’s up to a member on their own free will if they want to investigate that picture.
Plain and simple

Fair enough

ArchangelDM
1 hour ago, kammo-man said:

88671a5e693b013bcf2199b53aaa6016.jpg
As Lord summerile once said
‘Shocks are best absorbed with the knees bent’

😂 

exposure at its best ! 

Thanks for the posts O