Need information on strange marked WWII Paratroop knife

Ivydiv

I have picked up a WWII Paratroop switchblade but I have never seen one marked this way. On one side of the blade it just says "Presto" , nothing else. On the other side of the blade it just has "US" nothing else. All the ones I have seen are marked  "Presto Made in USA" and plain on the other side. It came out of a large collection I picked up that had mostly original stuff, but had a few reproductions mixed in. I am inclined to think it is a reproduction. The handle is non magnetic, but does not appear to be made out of bone. Has anyone encountered anything marked like this? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dave

Dave was good enough to send me photos of the knife in question...

As I look at the knife, it appears to be rather well made and is similar to the black plastic handled versions of the Schrade and Presto brand knives that were being made in the post WWII time period. Unlike the wartime Presto knives, this one only Says "PRESTO" on the ricasso on one side and a simple "US" on the back side. There is void on the back side of the blade's ricasso that I believe is there to help the blade stay in a locked position when fully opened. You don't see this feature on WWII knives.

I know that WPG, ATF and others have sold reproductions of the paratrooper knife in the past with similar black plastic handles. Patrooper.FR  http://www.paratrooper.fr. markets a reproduction metal handled knife, but these are all marked "STAINLESS" on the ricasso. Some are also marked Pakistan, though I have been told the Paki mark comes off rather easily. These knives won't fool someone who knows what they are looking for, but they work well for reenactors and would make a fair "hole filler" for someone not prepared to pay the price of an original.

Allan

Presto3.jpeg

Presto2.jpeg

Presto2.jpeg

Thanks for posting the pictures Allan. I don't have anyway to do it myself. I was  wondering if anyone has encountered a similar knife marked this way with just "Presto" and "US". Dave