AN-6513 red group pack

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Finally!!! a red group pack 44 dated canopy, 24 ft, with the container

found bundled up, half packed, cords have been cut about a foot from the canopy, however the canopy is in good shape aside from the cut cords...

container is faded and worn in spots but clean enough to display..

in the middle of "repacking" using cotter pins instead of the t handle...in search of...

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG

phantomfixer

original bungee cords with cotters pins securing the flaps until a t handle is found...

thanks for looking

Happy 4th

IMG_3523.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3527.JPG

Very nice find Phantomfixer. That will look great on display!

Not something I've gotten into yet, But am trying to learn about these as I see someday I'll be there.

So I have to ask,

I've seen the term "red group" used in another thread here and was wondering, What does that refer to?

Semper Fi

Phil

phantomfixer

Thanks Phil !!

There were different QAC harness' in WWII .....the red group refers to the quick attach harness (QAC) parachute the crews used...some crewmen in the multi engine aircraft used a harness that the parachute attached to. There were two different styles of attaching the pack to the harness...one style harness had D rings on the harness, and hooks on the parachute pack (red group), and the other style had the D rings on the parachute pack, with the hooks on the harness, (yellow group)...the color coding was to make sure you grabbed the correct pack that went with your harness... 

here are some examples from the 303rd BG page

You're gonna need one for Uncle :) 

http://www.303rdbg.com/uniforms-gear7.html

red.jpg

nored303.jpg

2 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

Thanks Phil !!

There were different QAC harness' in WWII .....the red group refers to the quick attach harness (QAC) parachute the crews used...some crewmen in the multi engine aircraft used a harness that the parachute attached to. There were two different styles of attaching the pack to the harness...one style harness had D rings on the harness, and hooks on the parachute pack (red group), and the other style had the D rings on the parachute pack, with the hooks on the harness, (yellow group)...the color coding was to make sure you grabbed the correct pack that went with your harness... 

here are some examples from the 303rd BG page

You're gonna need one for Uncle :) 

http://www.303rdbg.com/uniforms-gear7.html

red.jpg

nored303.jpg

I was just about to ask the same question as AZPhil.  Thanks for the explanation.  My new thing learned for the day. 

Mikie

Outstanding info!!Thank you Phantomfixer!!

Now I got that down, One more?

Since the harness and chute are different(Red or Yellow) does this mean a different time frame? Early/Late War?

And yes Phantomfixer, LOL!!! I will need one for my Uncle's display eventually. 

Semper Fi

Phil

No, it means if you grabbed the wrong combination of "colors" you would end up with the harness and the pack both having D-rings or both having snap hooks. Hooks can't hook to other hooks and D-rings can't attach to other D-rings - ie., you were screwed!

It's kind of surprising it ever got to that point but I suppose wartime necessity meant getting things produced even when better iterations were to come.

Dave

phantomfixer

The a4 ...yellow group is a late war...late 44 harness...the a3 or an6513 would be good for earlier displays