Named Gettysburg Anniversary, 75th

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

In October of 1862, 13 year old William B. Caton watched as Captain Lewis Merrill's Cavalry Regiment passed his farm in Sturgeon, Missouri. He followed the enthralling cavalry men to join. Capt. Merrill told him he could stay IF he could learn to play the bugle. He did and became a Private & Bugler in Company E, the 2nd Missouri Cavalry, known as "Merrill’s Horse" Bugler Caton served with the regiment until he mustered out Sept. 19, 1865
Capt. Lewis Merritt cavalry regiment served in the field against Confederate guerrilla's in Arkansas, Missouri and Tennessee, then into Georgia before mustering out. 
     William Caton, still a youth at the wars end, became a notable figure at Veterans Reunions after the war. In July of 1938 he attended the 75th Gettysburg Reunion accompanied by his son, named after his wartime commander.
   His group includes wartime CdV's in uniform, self inscribed on the reverse. There is an inscribed GAR badge and importantly his Federally awarded, boxed and 75th Gettysburg Reunion Attendees badge as well as his son's Attendants badge.

Caton10.jpg

Caton7.jpg

caton3.jpg

Caton11.jpg

Caton1.jpg

Caton13.jpg

Caton8.jpg

skypilot6670

WOW !  Andrew that is one excellent grouping. You continue to turn up great items and groups , my compliments.  Fraternally Yours.   Mike

skypilot6670

DOUBLE WOW ! I didn’t notice it before.  He’s wearing a  “Cavalry walking horse I.D. Badge in one of the CDVs “ that is very rare.   Again my compliments.   Mike

wartimecollectables.com

Thanks! I've had that group for years and is pretty much the kick start to my interest in the Civil War!

• 2 years later...
Gettysburg18631963

Hello. I’m working on a book on the reunion and would like to include some of your info in it.