36th ID patched BAR Belt, Boyt 42, named

36thIDAlex

36thIDAlex

Just got in a great belt my friend found for me at the Oklahoma show. It’s a 1942 about BAR ammo belt in field-worn shape, but the most interesting part is the original snowback 36th ID SSI sewn onto the left side.

I’ve not been able to find specific pictures of the division doing this but I’m guessing it might have been a late war or occupation thing. The stitching is hand done and using original organic thread. The patch itself covers the clasp and shows a good amount of wear from the button closing and opening on the patch.

The belt is also named to a “C Grady” which I have not been able to look into yet. There are some other stamping that look like “TM1” and some weird cartouche above the name.

In all, a very unique and cool ammo belt that was obviously well used through the war and probably afterward in occupation. Very happy to add it to my 36th collection.

-Alex

b0ba47d6c494693ef98d202d97e8b480.jpeg

bf750a43f040b191d19e1e455918ad3d.jpeg

538fe38328733e4d5f64a07e18ce0e11.jpeg

06fa9727f4fe3c1b3c26fa73e1854a43.jpeg

069b34604e6a4dd4a148a3f1970bacb6.jpeg

ac4b072a354bbd6ce6acdf6fc4dc4506.jpeg

Congrats on the new addition. That's really cool that it has the patch attached to it. I don't think I've seen that before. I hope you are able to find more info on the ID.

36thIDAlex

Thanks for the comments yall, definitely not one I could pass up. Does anyone recognize the cartouche on the back of the flap that is surrounded by the patch stitching? 

milsurp_scout_14

Due to the 36th infantry patch, I'm leaning towards the idea that 'TMI' and the cartouche are from the Texas Military Institute. Likely the name was a student. The 36th was out of Texas, and it's possible this belt was used by a JROTC student, who got the patch and sewed it on (all pure conjecture). The cartouche looks vaguely like the same shield shape with lines running through it, as the school's logo.

55 minutes ago, milsurp_scout_14 said:

Due to the 36th infantry patch, I'm leaning towards the idea that 'TMI' and the cartouche are from the Texas Military Institute. Likely the name was a student. The 36th was out of Texas, and it's possible this belt was used by a JROTC student, who got the patch and sewed it on (all pure conjecture). The cartouche looks vaguely like the same shield shape with lines running through it, as the school's logo.

I think that is a decent guess, or at least something that was at one time used by the school. I would think it odd to see a student do something like that and wonder if perhaps it was reissued to the 36th when they were gearing up to ship off and maybe stayed in their service until someone did that in occupation or if it was given back when they returned home. The Texas Military Forces museum had not seen anything like it, although it would not have flown in combat, again leading me to occupation or NG.