Green Beret Unit skull patch, Legit..?

MH050

Hello U.S. Militaria forum members,

This is my first post and i ussually don't collect US-Military things. But i came across this patch that fits in my collection area.

My qeustion: I was looking for the Green Beret Unit with the Motto "DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR". But couldn't find any similar patches. Is this even a unit that exists in the US Military?

And if anyone has any experience with cloth patches, Is this piece legit?

780108355_GreenBeretUnitskullPatch.jpg.9916becb501921f168a2062b536dc419.jpg1198009641_GreenBeretUnitskullPatch2.jpg.f78dd57ebdd130b8fe0fb28d2ab207c1.jpg

Any opinions or comments are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Regards,

MH050

MilitaryPicker1941

I can’t tell you if it’s green beret or not, but it looks like a nice Vietnamese made patch from what I can see

Thank you for the reply. Is it a good thing it would be Vietnamese made?

I did find out that the green beret unit served in Vietnam after you're comment..

Any other comments are welcome!

Best regards,

Dos

vintageproductions

I thought this was a 9th division pocket patch, not Special Forces.

@vintageproductions, May very well be! It is listed for sale as a Green Beret Unit patch.

I'm not familiar with any US Arm or pocket patches. 

Any other opinions or thoughts on this patch?

Thank you.

DURING WW2 A FEW DIV. SENT SMALL GROUPS TO RANGER TRAINING SCHOOL.

AFTER TRAINING THEY RETURNED TO THERE UNITS ( NOT  RANGER BN'S )

A FEW EXAMPLES  I'M REFERING TO ;   ( I FOUND THIS INFO IN EMBLEMS OF HONOR - RANGERS )

THE 4TH  MOTORIZED DIVISION  @  CAMP GORDON GA . HELD A RANGER TYPE SCHOOL  AND PART OF SUCCESSFULLY COMPLEATING THE COURSE WAS A CERTIFIC AND  A BADGE WORN OR SEWN ON THE CUFF OF THE OD UNIFORM.

A DIFFRENT BUT SAME IDEA THE 100TH DIV. SENT TROOPERS TO THE 2ND ARMY RANGER TRAINING SCHOOL AT CAMP PICKETT

( 2ND AND 5TH RANGERS TRAINED THERE BEFOR SHIPPING TO ENGLAND FOR D-DAY) GRADUATES WERE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR A RED AND WHITE RANGER TAB UNDER THE 100 DIV. PATCH, THE 2ND. INF. DIV. AT CAMP McCoy FL. WORE A BLACK CIRCLE W/ WHITE SKULL AS A SLEEVE EMBLEM.  KOREA HAD BATTLE PATROL PATCHES .

AS FOR THE MOTTO DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR IN THE ASMIC MOTTO BOOK  SHOWS THE 397TH REGT. ( BCT ) SEE PIC

th.jpeg.593ba90aa770923ed00ee106dabc8f2d.jpeg

vintageproductions

The above patch is a Infantry related piece from Vietnam, it has nothing to do with Rangers.

vintageproductions

My memory isn't as good as it once was.

It is not 9th division, it is Company D, 5th Battalion, 12th Infantry, 199th Infantry Brigade and is shown in Cecil Smyth's Vietnam US Army Combat Unit Insignia volume 1.

dbd.jpg

@vintageproductions Thank you for reference picture and detailed information about this patch. Much appreciated. I pulled the trigger on buying it, and i will post some better quality pictures when it arrives.

@AHR No worries, These things happen. 

Any other opinions? Seems rather worn or crudely made.. Does look cool! Dont even know if these things are faked.. But everything war related with a skull is in my mind a potential victim...

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

439th Signal Battalion

On a jungle jacket I owned a while ago.  Attributed to the Echo Company Recon platoon, 2-3rd Infantry, 199th LIB, 69-70.  Sp4 Cornish was with a line unit before he transferred over to the Recon Platoon.  The platoon CP also had the skull and "Death Before Dishonor" above the door.  I have a picture of that too.  However, I have to find it...

DSC03148 (600x450).jpg

DSC03145 (600x450).jpg

Patches tend to shrivel when removed from uniforms.  It probably looked better when it was sewn to a shirt.

439th Signal Battalion
10 hours ago, MH050 said:

Thanks for showing, Would love to see the picture of the "Motto'' above the CP's door! @439th Signal Battalion

Yes most definitely! It shows signs of removal from uniform @gwb123

Thanks for the reminder.  Here you go...

11903972_935575846507763_2166795332027810940_n.jpg

WYCE01.png