WWII Navy? Electricians Insignia or Not?

55rocker52

55rocker52

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been on the forum for several months, and hope that all are well. But, I do have another head scratcher for you. I do know that these collar insignia are "Electricians," and very possibly WWII. However, from looking through the June 1943 Nat. Geo booklet Insignia and Decorations of the U.S. Armed Forces, this insignia appears to be the exact same in the Navy, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marines sections. So what do you guys think? They both measure just about 3/4" across, and are both marked 1/20 10K ON STERLING. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have attached two photos to view.

Kent

IMG_2087 (480x286).jpg

IMG_2088 (480x289).jpg

David Minton

Thank you for posting. I'm not exactly sure what your question is, since your post seems to identify them correctly. They are the same specialty mark as for an Electrician's Mate, but they are for an Electrician Warrant Officer. 

See: Historical Approach to Warrant Officer Classifications published by Naval History and Heritage Command

"In 1925, the grades of Electrician, Chief Electrician, Radio Electrician, and Chief Radio Electrician were established."

They look like Warrant Officer collar insignia. Chief Warrant Officer would be the same, except in silver. During WWII there were only two two games of Warrant Officers, unlike the five levels today. While I am not an expert with these, I don't see why they couldn't date back to WWII, based on construction. I have a few in my collection, and they do vary in size. I have not researched to see if they changed size according to regulations, or if they are manufacturer variations.

The USN and USG shared most of the same insignia, warrant officer pins like these among them. I did not know USMS used them as well, but that is not surprising.

55rocker52

Thank you very much for your reply. I was just curious as to if the Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine insignias might have been any different size. I saw a set recently on eBay, that where not GF over sterling, that had the latitudinal lines running all the way to the edge of the insignia, and they measured closer to 1/2" across. Unlike these that stop at the last longitudinal lines.

Kent