Navy Denim Pullover with Zipper

Wake1941

Anyone know if this is wartime? The zipper is a conmar, name stamped on the front of the jacket. No markings or tags inside 

IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7783.jpg

3 hours ago, Wake1941 said:

Is it Coast Guard ?

No. CG wore same as us. I’ve never seen, nor heard of this garment in US service. Don’t think it is US Military

41 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

No. CG wore same as us. I’ve never seen, nor heard of this garment in US service. Don’t think it is US Military

Came from a coast guard estate, I see quite a few that have sold as US navy on google but no recent auctions. 

I do not claim to be an expert. But in 50+ years of researching and collecting USN enlisted material culture, I’ve never seen anything like this. Things to remember. The denim

jumper came into use around 1893. Very restricted in use. It was based on the white jumper, but with a shawl collar. It was longer than the example shown. They also had 3 pockets, one breast pocket and 2 patch pockets on the skirt there were also no neck closures. 

around 1926, the USN adopted the blue chambray dungaree shirt. At that time, the denim jumper was converted into a jacket by opening I fully down the front and adding detachable metal buttons. This jacket was dropped in the early 1950s

additionally, the USN did not wear Insignia on dungaree uniforms until the 1956 regulations, and then only for Petty Officers. Yes, there are existing photos of hand painted crows on WW2 dungaree shirts, but they were not regulation and the Navy did not provide them. 

until 1975, the USCG stuck pretty close to USN regs, with some insignia details differing. 

I do not believe this item is USN/USCG. Possibly not US

vintageproductions

Like I said, Private Purchase, these show up in the Vintage clothing market all the time

4 minutes ago, vintageproductions said:

Like I said, Private Purchase, these show up in the Vintage clothing market all the time

Thanks for the info 

Another perspective - I’ve had two of these in separate USN WW2 USN groups over the years. One was well worn and faded to almost white, one was near unworn. Neither had ever had zippers installed, neither ever had insignia, other wise identical to this example. It’s not far fetched that they were privately purchased and one of the groups was to a seaman with prewar merchant service. However they were acquired,  the certainly saw USN wear .