Paratrooper helmet 551th

wer27

Hi, I think it is the right place to ask for an opinion on this helmet with mimicry and insignia of the 551th, the wear is very real and true, but I know that there are many repro of this kind of helmet

DSC00699.JPG

when it comes to painted helmets, you have to step slowly. helmets are highly humped by bargain basement termites that have no feelings for any one. ask questions before you buy. liner looks good period ww2 (Westinghouse?). i'll take a guess on the pot--- and say its good. I am no expert but, it doesn't have that fake Rembrandt look that some joker made up. there is something else------------- that is a fixed bail pot not an M-2. there have been para glider troops that wore regular pots with jump liners. lets see other opinions.

the helmet is an infantry model, the liner is a westinhouse, I am evaluating the cadco before a purchase

27 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Costa i wondered about whether it should be an M2.

I asked the same question but, realize that as the war went on fix bail pots were used in jumps due to shortages and as I stated glider troops wore fixed bales with para liners. several times when you see something that doesn't seem to be right-------------- it is.

12 minutes ago, wer27 said:

the helmet is an infantry model, the liner is a westinhouse, I am evaluating the cadco before a purchase

I like it--- it just doesn't have that made up hump look.

trenchfoot

I’m no expert on airborne helmets, but I like the paint wear on the shell. Lots of nicks and scratches that don’t look artificial or made by the same tool. The rust does not look artificial either. Just my 2 cents

ArchangelDM

PartS I like, parts I dislike. 

that white on the tree is awfully white, normally white turns a cream color with age. Even hardly used helmets that saw little use and then were stored correctly exhibit a dulling down Of the initial color. I find it hard to believe that the camo underneath has dulled and aged yet the white remains bright. 

- Dean 

ArchangelDM

Also too add, the net was added to the helmet, then it was camo’d then the net was taken off again and the tree added. 

Pic 1 and 2 both clearly show where the net should be running through it but the tree is sitting on top. 

later addition ? 

Interesting helmet, but it has too many questions for me to feel right about it  If it's a fake, it's a good one..

Persian Gulf Command

wer27,

The liner appears to be a good Westinghouse Airborne Liner.  when you look at the outside of the liner and the inside of the shell, is there a matching up of discoloration on the liner and the discoloration and rust of the inside of the shell?  If these features match up this would move the possibility of opinion for this being a legit helmet.  

Burning Hazard

This is a tough one and would need an in-hand inspection; a look at the white paint through a loupe would also be needed. At least the Westinghouse Jump liner is an original WWII production.

In today's world, if any WWII airborne painted helmet does not come with provenance then it's best to be skeptical.

Pat

ArchangelDM

How much are they asking for it - another great indication. 

this would have to be in the thousands if original 

I really want this to be right but as Dean pointed out the palm tree sits differently than the rest.
The lime green sure does have the right look to it though
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

👍

somebody could have tried to wipe the helmet making the white paint look cleaner than it should? 40 years ago people were not that concerned about the patina, maybe they did a light cleaning disturbing the old white paint.

it looks pretty good to me

ArchangelDM
2 minutes ago, BOLO said:

somebody could have tried to wipe the helmet making the white paint look cleaner than it should? 40 years ago people were not that concerned about the patina, maybe they did a light cleaning disturbing the old white paint.

That could be the case but I feel the palm trees would still have discoloration. White paint and 80 years of sitting and Some time spent being in theatre would show discoloration and cracking. 

Their is some of it I really like, But those palm

trees are the elephant In the room for me. 

It does look somewhat convincing, my problem is with the palm trees, they look much larger than any I’ve seen in period photos and helmets in collections. 

If I can put I found a couple of photos of original helmets one is present on a book, the palm is made after the green-black mimicry, the size is the usual. My doubt remains on the type of green color less lime than the others and with a denser layer