The new breed of replica WW2 Westinghouse Camo liners !

ArchangelDM

17 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

I saw this as well in the "wee hours" of this morning.  I almost jumped and pressed the BIN option.  The only indicator is the shape of the templates used to apply the camo spray.  otherwise the colors are very accurate and yes meant to deceive.  All be it that the description states its a mimic. 

me too, my heart kinda skipped a beat when i initially saw the price, and first glance how good it looked

ArchangelDM
37 minutes ago, shadawg said:

me too, my heart kinda skipped a beat when i initially saw the price, and first glance how good it looked

they are definitely getting more advanced and better detailed. 
as others have quoted the double stamp puts the liner PW which is obviously incorrect but with a little wear and tear and a Westinghouse single stamp it will be more difficult to spot for ALL collectors 

knowledge is power 

information is key ! 

let’s hope that the new collectors out that get to this page. 

Also we all know what’s wrong with it - the page and thread is for people that might not. 

It’s not obvious to this “novice collector.” Now, what’s wrong with marking “replica” on it again? I can see some difference....but if I saw it in the wild, I’d be tempted....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArchangelDM
3 minutes ago, Lsparks said:

It’s not obvious to this “novice collector.” Now, what’s wrong with marking “replica” on it again? I can see some difference....but if I saw it in the wild, I’d be tempted....

I agree that marking it replica would help and should be done,  as with my opening statement on the thread. 

This thread was made for all collectors alike as a warning that these are getting better and I’m sure will be used in the future To deceive potential buyers. 

The Original WW2 Westinghouse liners with painted camouflage where only produced during WW2, and are quite a rare find these days. A lot of the produced liners where painted over During and after the war. 

Westinghouse was the only manufacturer to produce these. 

The double stamping of a liner indicates Post war use, the one pictured being Westinghouse and Capac ( post war liner)

Not knowing this could confuse a buyer into thinking that it could be legit. 

I hope that helps 

- Dean 

sgtdorango

Another problem with these is that he is making a bunch of them, i saw a whole stack at the SOS at his table and im sure there are other manufacture ww2 liner shells being used that wont be a dead give away like the post war liner shell in this thread that is re webbed ( another give away)...i agree a marking of replica or maybe even using a blatantly obvious different camo shape to jump out at collectors as not original but still keep the reenactors happy, theres such a thing as a replica and a replica that is made to decieve, i would think someone doing this would not want to cross that line but i understand its a very fine line, but to keep collectors from forming a witch hunt i would think it wouldnt be too hard to mark them or make sure to use only post ww2 liner shells, like using the 55-64 liner shells would be nice...that may be the case that he does, i dont know....this is just one example.....mike

(maybe this guy just made this one liner but there is a helmet restorer dealer that makes them too)

12 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

they are definitely getting more advanced and better detailed. 
as others have quoted the double stamp puts the liner PW which is obviously incorrect but with a little wear and tear and a Westinghouse single stamp it will be more difficult to spot for ALL collectors

Absolutely. The current seller thus far is pretty transparent on his, but he surely isn't the only one that will be able to pull off this technique. 

I don’t understand the nagging on the paint job
For my eye they are what they are
A decent modern reproduction
Down range though when they are messed with they will show up not as single girls but married and heavily pregnant with a matching shell and paint job.
Just give it a few years for the real fun to begin
Owen

I saw that too. Nearly slammed the bin because there was one last year with a bin of 200 that a member snagged as an upgrade and I wound up buying his worn, but identifiable, example. I’ve only seen one other on eBay since that 200 bin happened and it was also very worn. 
I agree, there should be some more obvious giveaway on all of these be it a shape, post war shell, or a permanent replica mark. The other complication I’ve read in other threads on originals is there was not just one pattern. There were only a few but more than one. Replica everything is becoming very accurate. Blades, sheaths like the M6, and field gear and it all relies on collectors figuring out the sometimes very subtle differences because I have seen no one marking their products as replicas to prevent confusion and fraud down the road.

thank you for the posting, without coffee and a little research, I can see making the mistake of BIN

thank you

ArchangelDM
2 hours ago, conn said:

thank you for the posting, without coffee and a little research, I can see making the mistake of BIN

thank you

no problem Conn