Collins #18 Machete with Elephant Pommel

Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is a U.S. Machete..I think it is  but you guys are the experts.  I picked up 5 blades in a trade and three have bird pommels and two are elephant.  It is 20-3/4" overall and marked in four straight lines on the front LEGITIMUS COLLINS CO. HARTFORD No 18. The pommel is shaped like a elephant and on the back of the blade is marked S-2-25.  If this is not a U.S. knife sorry and Mod should remove..any idea what year?  Thanks for any info.

1abcollins4.JPG

1abcollins1.JPG

1abcollins2.JPG

1abcollins3.JPG

Not military, they fall under a class of machete known as Cutacha, which are dress machetes with a bend toward fighting vs tool work.The Elefante models show up in the early 1900's, and continued through the late 1930's, when the looming war changed production needs and made it hard to obtain certain materials (Germany was a big supplier of horn scales). It was the last of the animal handles introduced, with the various wolves and birds coming before it.

I've always thought that the  "S-2-25" is part of a production date code for either the blades or complete models, as I've seen similar codes ending in 27, 32, 34, etc.... 

Dirt Detective- Thanks for showing!  You never see these anywhere, and they are cool! I also see they came with a Collins#13 scabbard, which is also the type used on the leather handled #127 machete for US Engineer Dept (USED), or the #37 US Signal Corps (SCUSA). Great collection!  SKIP

Dirt Detective

Thanks for the info guys..looks like one of the swords/machete shown in the last pic..is just like the  Spanish Inf. Off. sword for cuba shown in the thread a couple posts below this by Chap 15 ....I didnt notice that post before I posted this..