Jungle Expert pocket patch placement

agate hunter

agate hunter

Ive seen many Vietnam to 1980s uniforms with the Jungle Expert pocket patch on both the wearers left and right pockets, was there a certain regulation stating what pocket it was to be worn on or was it up to the individuals on where they placed the patch? Thanks.

The Jungle Expert patch was only prescribed for local wear in Panama and other SOCCOM units. I'm sure we've all seen the Jungle Expert patch being worn, but technically, it wasn't authorized for wear.  I think that will explain the reason that you see the patches sewn in all sorts of different locations.

The old Jungle Expert patch was awarded to graduates of the Jungle Operations Training Center (JOTC) at Fort Sherman, Panama. The school closed down in 1999.

In 2014, the Jungle Warfare school opened back up in Hawaii. Instead of the Jungle Expert patch, the school now issues a tab. As I understand it, soldiers are only authorized to wear the tab  in the U.S. Army Pacific area of responsibility. The tab only reads 'Jungle' instead of 'Jungle Expert'.

Allan

greendevilsix

agate hunter,

Allan is spot on with his answer regarding the Jungle Expert patch and the new Tab.  If you are looking for the regulation on the Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia, search the net for Army Regulation 670-1 (AR 670-1).  The last edition that was published on 25 May 2017 but that covers mostly grooming standards and how to wear religious items of clothing.  The Army decided to publish Department of the Army Pamphlet 670–1 (PAM 670-1), Guide to the Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia also dated 25 May 2017 which covers how to set up the uniform and all of the goodies authorized to wear on it.  Side note, anything published before 2017 had both aforementioned Reg and PAM combined.  Not sure why they published two separate items in 2017.  Enjoy!