Why did this 187 sell for almost $600?

mortaydc60

mortaydc60

Must of been auction bidding virus. This bullion 187 Abn is very nice but paying maybe close to triple what is worth? People spend your money but be smart about it. Better spent on a more difficult unit to find or one made in Japanese silk for rarer unit for close to same money.

s-l1600-13.jpg

Bill Scott

Mort if you would sell a 187th like that for 200 dollars remember me I would pay 300 for one just like that.That is one neat looking 187th.Scotty

mortaydc60

You know me I may exaggerate little to make a point. I did say it was real nice in my defense.

Airborne-Hunter

I would have thought $350-400. But it is a pretty famous combat unit. From a general standpoint, Mort raised a good point in an earlier thread where the quantity of quality patches has steadily dropped over the last ten years on ebay. Theres great quantity of desirable, yet common patches....think USMC raider, FSSF, ect. True quality pieces are exceptionally hard to find, even with the internet. This piece is not the rarest but its the first 187th bullion without significant damage to come through ebay in years. I haven't seen one of these with a company designation in probably 10 years and I seem to remember most of those pulled $8-1200 then. 

Every Korean War theater made combat patch with anything special has pulled considerable cash for the last year. Its a nice piece, I have at least one or two already so its not for me, but for alot of collectors theres not much coming out and alot of pent up demand.

Best ABN

mortaydc60

You make a very good point about the lack of real rare items showing up on ebay. That is part of what i was arguing thou not spoken out loud. The 187 was nice  but really just a bullion version of a common patch granted not common in bullion.  My post about finding 50 or so rare patches out of 30,000  on ebay kind of makes the point.