LCDR John A. Rausch

RickInVic

I thought I'd share one my favorite smaller groups which I purchased in 2010.  Lieutenant-Commander John Anthony Rausch was born in 1924, served in the Navy from 1942 until 1972 and passed away in 2008. In addition to the ribbons and medals which came with the group, LCDR Rausch is entitled to the Joint Service Commendation Medal.  From the information received from the NPRC, he was promoted to Chief Store Keeper in 1951 and commissioned in 1956. Among his various assignments, he was a Store Keeper aboard the USS Wadsworth (DD516) in WW II and earned his Submarine Combat Insignia for service aboard USS Perch (ASSP313) during its first successful war patrol in 1950. He must have worked with a great bunch given the humorous nature of the plaque with his very tired ribbons.

rausch1.jpg

rausch2.jpg

Thanks Josh.

There's another interesting entry in his record for the same date:

"12-29-50

The Commanding Officer congratulates you on the performance of duty which enabled this vessel to complete a successful war patrol (25 Sept - 5 Oct 1950). The substance of messages from the Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet and Commander Naval Forces, Far East are included below:

PERSONAL GREETING IS EXTENDED TO THE OFFICERS AND MEN OF THE PERCH BY CINCPACFLT X YOUR EFFORTS SHALL BE A MOST COMMENDABLE CONTRIBUTION TO THE KOREAN EFFORT WHEN THE STORY CAN BE RELATED X WELL DONE FROM ADM A. W. RADFORD.

UPON LEAVING NAVFE AREA A QUOTE WELL DONE UNQUOTE IS EXTENDED TO ALL HANDS FOR A CLEAN SWEEP OF ALL TASKS CONDUCTED X SMOOTH SAILING AND GOOD LUCK X VICE ADMIRAL JOY.

R. D. QUINN

Commanding Officer"

I take the entry to be the equivalent of a unit citation. The story to be related someday referenced in the message is described in Wikipedia as:

"In September 1950 Perch transported a force from Britain's 41 (Independent) Commando Royal Marines in a raid on the northeast coast of Korea west of Tanchon.[8] The target, a train tunnel on the north-south supply line, was destroyed, with the loss of one man who was buried at sea. The commanding officer, Lieutenant Commander R. D. Quinn, became the only submarine commanding officer to receive a combat award during the Korean War when he was awarded the Bronze Star for this action."

[8] The reference for this is cited as: https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2016/winter/perch