RT Iowa Boonie

Jason_Hardy

Jason_Hardy

John Gunnison's Counter Insurgency Support Office (CISO) manufactured black boonie that he had the brim cropped down and locally (Kontum RVN) hand embroidered RT IOWA with GUNNISON on the reverse. The necklace medallion was manufactured in Thailand.

In 1969, John H. Gunnison was assigned to Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observations Group (MAC V SOG), Command and Control South (CCS), Recon Company and served on Recon Teams Level and Sickle. He was later reassigned to Command and  Control Central (CCC), Recon Company and reformed RT Iowa.

IMG_3831 - Copy.JPG

John Gunnison (Gunnison) 113 - Copy.jpg

Spy vs Spy

Stunning.. Both are center pieces in any collection.

Can’t be too many of those necklaces out there Jason. Venus Jewelry did a lot of custom work to SF guys according the owner, and they still do to this day.

Martin

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Not trying to bump an old topic, but John Gunnison was my uncle (mom's brother). The smile you see there, was his hallmark (for me anyway). I was 12 when he was WIA and sent to Louisiana for medical discharge.
After I joined the Navy at 18, I lost track of him and only saw him a handful of time before he passed last year. I've kind of been scouring the internet and SOG books to get a glimpse of what he actually did during his time in the Army. I can tell you this, what he told us (as family members) he did while in country, is far from what he actually did.
My mother was given his shadow box after he died, but my mother passed shortly after he did so it's been a nightmare trying to find it.
Thank you so much for sharing this piece of my uncles history for me and my family.