M1 Helmet ID please

jmd62

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I need your help please on this M1 I just received in the mail. Probably a repainted shell and if so, Korean War?  Hard to read the heat stamp but it appears to be 488B and there's an ink stamp under the front seam inside. Pics of the liner to follow but it's a Westinghouse that appears to read D 28? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

James 

shell.jpg

shell 1.jpg

shell 2.jpg

Shell strap.jpg

Under seam inside.jpg

shell front seam.jpg

shell bl.jpg

huntssurplus

What are you looking to get info on? Looks like an honest WW2 manufactured shell painted for post war use during the Korean war. You can tell by the black painted rank on front, dead giveaway of a Korean War era used helmet. Liner looks to be 50's manufactured, what does the inside of the shell look like? Might be a married set.

Hunt 

The Rooster

Steel 488 comes up april 1943

McCord made and looks like it was fixed loop at one time and converted to swivel because its got the crimp weld on the rim opposite the loops. OD3 chin straps. Could have been used WW2 on up.

Only fixed loops got a crimp in that spot.

Laundry number on the underside of brim.

Liner looks like a ww2 liner that was re webbed possibly for Korea?

I think they didnt use green webbing until WW2 ended ?

Nice helmet ! Looks like corporal stripes on the front of the steel ???

More pics please?

👍

Thank you Gentlemen!

I really appreciate your helpful information. I'm attaching more pics and if there is anything in particular you want to see, just let me know. It was sold as WW2, but in hand I felt I needed your expert opinions to confirm it wasn't.  I don't mind a Korean War helmet so that part is fine. 

It does appear to be a married set due to the different numbers between the liner and shell. And the corporal stripes show up better in the following pic.  Thanks again!

stripes.jpg

Liner stamp.jpg

shell inside whole.jpg

liner leather.jpg

The Rooster

It is a ww2 shell with what looks like its paint and cork finish. Hunt says the laundry stamp is Korea.

They made so many of the M1 helmets they just kept re using them.

I remember some guys in my guard unit in the 1980's were issued WW2 helmets with the sewn on chin straps.

The supply Sgt also issued them new last model chin straps which snapped on basically and the old ones from WW2 were cut off.

I always felt bad for the guys that got issued those beat up things even though they were covered with a cloth cover.

I got a last model M1 low dome with the sand finish. It was brand new looking. I liked it better than the old ones at the time. Now a days...

Different story.....   lol lol lol

The military continued to use ww2 Produced M1's into the 1990's especially in the Navy.

You have a nice pone because it was not altered. People on here that know more can check me but it looks like its got its original paint ?

Great story Rooster about the guys getting the old helmets! :D  Yep, helmets have certainly come a long way.

It seems that most things are pointing to the KW if we had to place a period, correct? 

Could the black paint rank be Air Force? Seems like it would be upside down for Army, correct? 

Sorry, I just found something else. The liner has a Micarta 1953 sticker in it as well. Thanks.

The Rooster

Not sure about the rank on the front ? Hunt said that rubber stamping laundry mark on the steel under the brim

is Korea era.

huntssurplus

One more thing to add on here, tank in front looks to be an Air Force ranking. So it’s at least post 1947 used right there. I’m guessing it was used some time mid 50s now with the second look. Especially with the 1953 dates liner. Liner is 50s produced using a WW2 mold, pretty common for CAPAC as they used the old firestone mold I’m pretty sure. Still all in all a nice helmet. WW2 manufactured shell, 50s liner, 50s used. There is always a possibility the shell at least was issued in WW2 but nothing is definite. Might have sat in storage until the 50s.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk