Placement of Shoulder Insignia on Ike Jacket Question

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

I am interested in a Ike that has the following SSI - 7th ID on the wearer's left and the 24th Corps on the wearer's right.  I am under the impression that current unit is on the left and combat unit is on the right.  With that, is what I described above make sense?  Also, ribbons on the jacket show four campaigns on the Asiatic Pacific and two on the Philippine liberation.....and the jacket belonged to a private?  Red flags on the ribbon / rank combo?

Thanks

I have seen a lot of WWII Europe and Pacific uniforms that have a Divisional patch on the wearers left and a Corps or Army patch on the wearers right. I would assume he was 7th for the whole war with 4 battle stars. (Aleutian Islands, Marshall Islands, Leyte, Okinawa) The 7th was assigned to the 24th Corps after Okinawa for the planned invasion of Japan. 

The modern wear of a right sleeve patch is a former overseas unit, that was the case also in WWII but I think a lot of GI's put on their higher command patch at all. This would have been technically out of regulations but most GI's didn't care for regulations and they were not tightly enforced.

Also, ranks in WWII were not like the modern Army. Units had a certain number of ranks they could have and a lot of guys didn't want responsibility or they were uneducated. He could have been busted down during the war. The rank wasn't guaranteed like it is in today's Army (E1-E4)

XXIV Corps was the final high command organization the 7th Division fell under, starting with Leyte and ending with Korea, it fell under 10th Army on Okinawa, but XXIV Corps was it's immediate higher command.

It was XXIV Corps that goes to Korea, XXIV Corps has at that time the 6th, 7th and 40th Infantry Division in it. We would just say that the XXIV Corps patch was worn in the manner of the many uniforms seen on the forum,both PTO MTO and MTO Discharges with that of the higher command patch worn on the right shoulder. The 4 Stars on the A&P Ribbon are spot on, the  2 Stars on a PI LIB Ribbon has been seen before, in the  case of the 7th and say the 77th Divisions, one for Leyte in general, and the other is believed for Ormoc, a hard battle during the Leyte Campaign.