WWII Airborne Paratrooper Unit Photo

lakenormanusa

lakenormanusa

Just got a yard long group photo of paratroopers wearing Airborne Command patches.

Would like to ID the regiment but can't make out the numbers on the officers infantry insignia.

The guidon flag shows E Co. Wanted to see if anyone could pinpoint the group or ID any of the officers/men shown.

Thanks!

RickIMG_20200629_202205251.jpg.2951eaaaa4487a8c748b55777db420ab.jpg 

IMG_20200629_160412333.jpg

IMG_20200629_202131359.jpg

IMG_20200629_202052364.jpg

See if you can get high magnification on the officers collar brass. It appears to be numbered. Rob

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

lakenormanusa
13 hours ago, BEAST said:

Rick,

Is the photographer or the studio identified?

Yes, Beast, it's marked

W.R. Thompson & Co. Richmond, VA.

lakenormanusa
6 hours ago, RobS. said:

See if you can get high magnification on the officers collar brass. It appears to be numbered. Rob

Hi Rob, I tried zooming in with a magnifying glass but couldn't get a clear enough view. I wonder how or where I could get a higher end magnification? I'm pretty sure they could be read and IDed.

They are in training with the non flying transports in the background. The cap badges are early war. 2 guys in pic 1 have ovals with no wings. Very dark middle with a lighter, but not white border. I would guess 507th PIR. Try taking a digital photo of the captain collar brass with the most High resolution camera you have and zoom in on the pic. If there was too much shine on the badge when the photo was taken, it might not be readable. Rob.

BILL THE PATCH

In the top photo bottom row second from right looks like a early emb oval. Doesn't look like Sterling wings. Could it be 501st?. I used a ten power jeweler loop.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

lakenormanusa
16 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

In the top photo bottom row second from right looks like a early emb oval. Doesn't look like Sterling wings. Could it be 501st?. I used a ten power jeweler loop.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

That's a great idea. I'll see if a jewelers loop used on the actual photo will show anything. I thought maybe someone could identify the sergeant's distinct mug!

IMG_20200629_160412333.jpg

• 1 year later...