Nice patch lot on Ebay sold

mortaydc60

Not to often do you see a patch lot with more than one nice patch, but this had 3 or 4. Sold at a very reasonable price and thought it could go for hundreds more. Best of the lot was the bullion Nurnburg. Next the 1629 Eng Japanese made and third for me was the 84th Railsplitters

s-l1600-11.jpg

mortaydc60

Yes that is a nice bullion example. What you do not see in SOME bullion examples is the BLACK border seen on fully embriodered examples. This particular example has a BULLION border which is less common to find. Hope this helps.

mortaydc60

The back was shown and was classic German manufacturing. Can check on ebay under sold items and should see.

ocsfollowme

Seller is a serious collector that for some reason sells patches in lots rather than individually (could make more). I would not have an issue owning anything from his collection. 

I questioned the border which in the original Heraldic design description of the patch dated 24 January, 1946 (I have a copy) calls the border to be 'sable' which is the color black. The description also states: Bordure: Sable, for evil. Except for the border the patch appears to be good.

mortaydc60

Yes you are correct that  you usually want to see and want a black border; however SOME of the bullion made patches have a bullion border, call it artistic license, and the above is an example. I have owned these and have seen these in very advanced collections.  This was not the first on Ebay with that distinction ie. bullion border, and for that matter when you consider most bullion patches the manufacturer places MORE not less of the bullion on the patch, or why bother making it in bullion in the first place.

vintageproductions

Mort maybe you don't know Fred above, but I consider him one of the most advanced German made bullion patch collectors there is in this hobby.

mortaydc60

Hi Fred!  Gary Triggs has full bullion patch that he got  directly from one of the lawyers in the trial  believe it was Judge Jackson who was one of his instructors in law school and believe Scotty has shown bullion example on the forum if not mistaken. Do not see any discrepancy in fact , and I guess Fred just wants to see the back of the patch which is completely justified and reasonable.

mortaydc60

Hi Fred, found the pic of the backs. Let us know what you think,your imput would be very helpful. Thanks

s-l1600-14.jpg

For reference I have attached photos of my bullion 6850th Internal Security Detachment (Nurnberg) patch along with original related 6850th documentation that accompanied the patch. This patch was submitted by Col. B. C. Andrus to the Quartermaster General for approval on 24 January, 1947. I've also attached a few (poor) photos of the 6850th patch on period uniforms.  If anyone has additional photos of the patch being worn I would appreciate seeing them. In both photos it appears the border is black (sable).

100_2343.JPG

100_2344.JPG

57 (2).jpg

1454381150477-wheelis_goering (2).jpg

1454381150477-wheelis_goering.jpg

Andress letter 1.jpg

mortaydc60

Fred can you tell us what you think of the patch in the lot that sold now that you see the back.Enclosed is similar one to yous in my collection still on the jacket. Also enclosed are some others that were in my collection and please note the Bullion example bottom left with the bullion border. Hope this may clear up some doubts.

IMG_1534.JPG

Scan 450.jpeg

The 6850th patch on your uniform is certainly original despite the condition-It has all the characteristics typical of German made early post war patches.The lower right patch may be original but it has a gold bullion border.  I can't comment on the other three patches.

Fred could you answer the original question you asked. You asked to see the back of the patch that started the post, so you could determine if it was German made. My above post was to show that there are examples of the patch that have a bullion border and not the black border that are original theater made examples. All of the examples that I have seen that have a bullion border are done in the gold bullion have not seen any in the silver. Please also note that the silver bullion is not the dominate choice of material and mainly used to accent or highlight the design.  

Here's an enlarged picture of the back the patch. There are other knowledgeable collectors that could comment on the construction. I would have expected to see some sort of stabilizer material to protect the the back.  Some original German made patches I have observed used paper or some sort of clear resin to protect the embroidery on the back. 

s-l1600-14.jpg.d1315e5b63c572a5a847724e893f2c24.jpg

Yes that is true about the paper and stabilization, but have seen many without the paper. So what do you think now that you see it without the backing? From my experience it looks like classic German manufacture and as you say would like others to jump in and learn their opinion. Checking your original post you question the border but think it is good,atleast from the front and maybe you will reach same conclusion now that you can view the back. Not to beat a dead horse here but the evidence seems to show that you can see a bullion border instead of the more common black(sable) color and still have a legit example.

I would like to hear opinions from other collectors. I believe patch shown is likely original. The front looks OK and is probably a variation, but I personally would only be comfortable with a black border patch for my collection. If anyone out there has period photos of original Nurenberg patches being worn please share it with us! 

A few years ago a number of bullion Nurenberg patches surfaced along with unmarked 6850th DI's.  They all turned out to be reproductions. I believe there is-or was-a similar patch listed on eBay recently.