What is this ammo belt?

Scottz63

I know this question has been asked a million times here, but what type nof belt is this? The pouches seem short on them. It has eagle snaps on it. I only have one picture, sorry.

Thanks, Scott

belt1.jpg

Doctorofwar

This thread may be helpful- but there appears to be some discussion on the exact designation of this pistol belt.  It looks like yours has a Saber ring on it.  

I'm still confused on this one. Is it an M1909 or M1910? I am assuming it's a revolver cartridge belt being it has the short pouches? Thing is, it has 6 pouches and I have only seen 4 or eight pouch. I would really like to know what this is. I am wanting to use it to carry half moon .45 ACP clips of ammo and a holster for my same Colt 1917.

Thanks, Scott

Doctorofwar

I’m no expert on these but the thread link seems to come to the conclusion that M1909/M1910 were collectorisms and that there were several versions made around that time for the various revolvers that were in use.  I’d say the only thing certain is it is made for revolver ammunition.  I’ll check Dorsey’s book today, but as the previous thread states his book has some mistakes and inconsistencies so it may not be of more help.  You’ll have to see if half moon clips will fit, however I believe this belt predates the issue of M1917 revolvers and the .45 and .38 revolvers used previously would have taken loose ammunition. 

Marchville1918

Your belt was made for the 38 Cal revolver. It is not a model 1909 which was made for 45 Cal ammo. I cant give you the exact year but it would be something more like 1903. The saber ring indicates it was likely for mounted troops.

Doctorofwar

I agree that it is a revolver belt made for mounted troops armed with a .38 revolver however I cannot find this exact variation in either Dorsey’s book or Brayley’s book.

The Army M1903 revolver cartridge belt has 8 pockets (available with or without Sabre chape) and the later M1910 revolver cartridge belt has 4 pockets that are 1.5” deep (3/16” deeper than the M1903) in order to accommodate the longer .45 Colt ammunition.  I can find no reference to a M1909 made with Sabre chape- but I only have two rather thin references on these belts from which this information was gleaned. 

Both the M1903 and M1910 have been speculated to have been made by the same manufacturer (Russel). Both have rimless eagle snaps.

Do you think it’s possible that two of the pockets on yours have been removed? 
Except for the number of pockets all signs point to this being a M1903 for cavalry armed with the .38 revolver.  

Doctorofwar

Whoops- I made the same mistake that Dorsey did interchanging the M1909 and M1910 belt terminology in the above post.  Collectorism or not, most sources I’ve seen agree that there was only a M1910 Revolver cartridge BELT (for the M1909 REVOLVER) and a separate M1903 BELT (for the M1889/M1892 et al series of REVOLVERS).  Two different belts in question the M1903 and the M1910 not three.  Sorry for any confusion.

14 hours ago, Scottz63 said:

I know this question has been asked a million times here, but what type nof belt is this? The pouches seem short on them. It has eagle snaps on it. I only have one picture, sorry.

Thanks, Scott

belt1.jpg

I see 8 pockets on this belt.  One in front of the chap and one after the Right most one.  You can see the rivet on the right and surmise the one ahead of the chap.

5 hours ago, Doctorofwar said:

I agree that it is a revolver belt made for mounted troops armed with a .38 revolver however I cannot find this exact variation in either Dorsey’s book or Brayley’s book.

The Army M1903 revolver cartridge belt has 8 pockets (available with or without Sabre chape) and the later M1910 revolver cartridge belt has 4 pockets that are 1.5” deep (3/16” deeper than the M1903) in order to accommodate the longer .45 Colt ammunition.  I can find no reference to a M1909 made with Sabre chape- but I only have two rather thin references on these belts from which this information was gleaned. 

Both the M1903 and M1910 have been speculated to have been made by the same manufacturer (Russel). Both have rimless eagle snaps.

Do you think it’s possible that two of the pockets on yours have been removed? 
Except for the number of pockets all signs point to this being a M1903 for cavalry armed with the .38 revolver.  

This is good info. The belt is not mine yet so I'm not sure of the pocket count. Looks like it might actually have 8 pockets though. I'll ask.

.45 ACP ammo has a 1.275 overall length so it should fit in the .38 revolver pockets. Maybe with half moon clips? How many rounds went in each pocket on these?

Thanks, Scott

1 hour ago, Pep said:

I see 8 pockets on this belt.  One in front of the chap and one after the Right most one.  You can see the rivet on the right and surmise the one ahead of the chap.

Looks like it might have 8 pockets. I'll find out.

Thanks, Scott

Doctorofwar

If it has 8 pockets all signs point to it being a M1903 Mounted Revolver belt for .38 revolver. Each pouch held 6 .38 rounds.  I don’t think you would have an issue with the length of .45ACP but the width, especially if on a half moon clip even though it would only be 3 rounds.  Since this belt was never meant for issue to those armed with M1917 revolvers and it is a somewhat scarcer belt than those issued with the M1917, I would suggest you get a WW1 vintage pistol belt and 3 pocket revolver ammo pouch to go with it. Then you will know it will work, will be historically accurate and probably easier/cheaper to acquire.  

It does, in fact, have 8 pockets. Therefore it must be a M1903 Mounted Revolver belt for .38 revolver.