VN Advisor Outfit

gunbb

My son found this at a garage sale and sent it to me . It looks legit . What do you know about it ? Thanks 

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

I guess you missed the WW2 army buttons and the guy in the picture wearing the same short shirt and exact pattern camo. My friend thinks it's the USMC "Frog" pattern. Remember these were advisors that weren't supposed to be there. 

If you want to believe it's "advisor" that's cool. To most everyone else it's just hunting clothes. Was some civilian hunting clothing worn in VN, yes. Does that mean any and all civilian hunting clothing is military or VN used, no. 

There are several topics on the "duck hunter" camo on the forum

I actually have the same style shirt with the WW2 buttons and lower pockets I picked up in the late 1970s as well as a couple others with the burst of glory buttons. The two shirts came together when found. The buttons were surplus used in the commercial clothing manufacturing business.I spoke to a man who had a 55 gallon drum of them in the 1980s that came off Ft.McCoy.

I also have a friend who was an SF vet and he is wearing a set of duck hunter commercial camo in a training picture in the 60s. Its also stated in a book  where the camos were purchased at sears and roebuck with unit funds for use by the SEALs.I recall it was mentioned in Roy Boems book First SEAL.

MilitaryPicker1941
6 hours ago, gunbb said:

I guess you missed the WW2 army buttons and the guy in the picture wearing the same short shirt and exact pattern camo. My friend thinks it's the USMC "Frog" pattern. Remember these were advisors that weren't supposed to be there. 

Nope. Didn’t miss anything

It’s hunting camouflage set
If an advisor wore it it would be nice to actually have his name
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know everyone wants to be THE critic, but when I look at the uniform and I look at the picture of the guy in VN instructing a local on the use of the o3A3 . I see the same outfit. Everyone wants to say it's junk and NOT VN issue or use, but I don't see any difference in his and mine , down to the short jacket with the pockets almost to the bottom and the US Army issue buttons. What then did advisors wear??? 

manayunkman

The conundrum here is determining whether this was worn in Vietnam or not.

We don’t know.

Unless, as Owen so succinctly put it, you have a name or got it from the vet. 

Otherwise the odds are its just a hunting suite.

They still have value so hold back from going down the “junk” trail.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

It is commercially sold hunting camouflage made with WWII surplus 13 star buttons. A few of them were purchased by advisors early in the Vietnam war. It is not a offical US military item. I have seen pictures of soldiers wearing converse in Vietnam as well but not every 60s pair of converse was worn in Vietnam. For every SF advisor who wore one of these shirts in Vietnam a thousand hunters wore it out duck hunting in the US. It is a nice representative piece, but not a rare artifact.

Doctorofwar

In my humble opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a representative piece in your collection because after all it is YOUR collection and everyone should collect what makes them happy. Just because it doesn’t have provenance and the odds are it never left the states just means we’ll never really know it’s history.  There are plenty of other items people collect that are in this same class- ‘private purchase’ knife patterns, all the commercial off the shelf gear that is so common especially post 2001 etc.  As long as you aren’t trying to pass it off to someone else with the intent to mislead them about what it is by faking provenance, there is nothing wrong with these items, and I’ll bet a lot of us have a few representative items in our own collections.  

It would be nice if your photos were in focus.

Do you have a name connected to the set ?

Otherwise it’s suspiciously like a sales pitch link thread instead of an actual ask for help about the set.

Owen

Rakkasan187

Its all about the provenance.. You can speculate that it was ARVN advisor worn all day long, but without a name or rock solid evidence,, it is what it is.. Hunting camo...

Just to set the record straight, the folks who have commented here; especially Kammo Man, Doyler and Spike,,, are some of the best informed and knowledgeable when it comes to Camo uniforms.. and their assessments I would bank on any day.  

You may ask your son if the garage sale was close to where he lives to go back and ask the people what the connection was to the set of camo clothes that he purchased,, IF there is a Vietnam connection they may be able to reveal some more information...OR it may be just a set of hunters clothes that were outgrown...

Leigh

WOW , first it dismissed as being nothing but a '60,s hunting outfit, junk , trash , worthless , l then "it may have been worn by a few advisors" , and lastly I'm accused of trying to create a "Sales Pitch Thread" . You people are something else !!!!!!!

vintageproductions

Maybe it had something to do with your attitude after the first poster commented that it was hunting clothing. You then went on the attack and were a bit rude talking about the metal buttons. While yes those could be WWII vintage, they were used and sold in the surplus market all the way into the 1970's and were used on lots of civilian hunting clothing.

I believe there is a large thread mixed into the Beo Gam thread that will give you all the history you could need.

The people that commented above are some of the best of the best in the military camo subject. They have handled more pieces and studied these type items for many decades. I can remember back in the late 80's going in rag mills and seeing 1000 pound bales of this civilian camo, made identical to the set you have shown. Could they have been worn in Vietnam, yes but very slim. There is a collector fantasy that all these sets were sent over by the soldiers family because of the lack of camo available in Vietnam. This is total bs as the Viet's started using camo way before the US and had it available in most of the military tailor shops and anyone could walk in and buy it. Is there an exception, of course there is, but I would say it is much easier to say that 99.9999999999999999% of the civilian duck hunter camo was used for just that, hunting.

Posting
You people
Invites all kind of fun reply’s in the realm of
“Get of my lawn you pesky kids”

FT.Monmouth1943

Ditto what everyone has said. Were they used by advisors? Yes. But it was VERY rare, and they were private purchased hunting clothes. What you have is a set of hunting clothes. If you have provenance connecting it to an advisor then you can say they belonged to one. Otherwise, like what everyone else has said, it’s just hunting clothes. I get that this is not what you want to hear, but there is no excuse to get mad at everyone here for simply telling you the truth and not sugar coating what you have.

- Jakob

12 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Posting
You people
Invites all kind of fun reply’s in the realm of
“Get of my lawn you pesky kids”

😂😂

On 6/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, kammo-man said:

It would be nice if your photos were in focus.

Do you have a name connected to the set ?

Otherwise it’s suspiciously like a sales pitch link thread instead of an actual ask for help about the set.

Owen

Maybe it's your glasses

With the exception of Spike, Doyler and Doctorofwar, I find the response very rude. I'm no kid, 77 , and have been a member of several collector clubs and am on websites . I've been at this 'Militaria " for 68 years and have several collections. Many of the posts were so rude and dismissive without any other comment, it reminded me of the puffed up "experts" that seem to infect every club organization. Someone would show up to find out information about something and these "Experts" would figuratively spit on the object, kick it around and sneer , to the point the rookie would go away and never come back again. There's a thing called magnanimity which is sorely lacking in many who posted here .  I am very dismayed at the way some of you acted . As someone who has been on several collector club boards as well as selling at shows for almost 50 years, I try to treat people decently. When they ask me what I think, I tell them exactly what Doctorofwar said. It could have been there but without provenance , you will never know. Were they used, "YES" as Doyler said, and provided another picture to prove it. This is what's known as Magnanimity , sharing your knowledge, but giving an honest assessment of possible use in the theater .  I personally don't care  . I plan on keeping it because my son gave it to me. Here's another link and this one has PLASTIC BUTTONS !!!
http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/vietnam_uniforms/largeduck.html

vintageproductions
15 minutes ago, gunbb said:

With the exception of Spike, Doyler and Doctorofwar, I find the response very rude. I'm no kid, 77 , and have been a member of several collector clubs and am on websites . I've been at this 'Militaria " for 68 years and have several collections. Many of the posts were so rude and dismissive without any other comment, it reminded me of the puffed up "experts" that seem to infect every club organization. Someone would show up to find out information about something and these "Experts" would figuratively spit on the object, kick it around and sneer , to the point the rookie would go away and never come back again. There's a thing called magnanimity which is sorely lacking in many who posted here .  I am very dismayed at the way some of you acted . As someone who has been on several collector club boards as well as selling at shows for almost 50 years, I try to treat people decently. When they ask me what I think, I tell them exactly what Doctorofwar said. It could have been there but without provenance , you will never know. Were they used, "YES" as Doyler said, and provided another picture to prove it. This is what's known as Magnanimity , sharing your knowledge, but giving an honest assessment of possible use in the theater .  I personally don't care  . I plan on keeping it because my son gave it to me. Here's another link and this one has PLASTIC BUTTONS !!!
http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/vietnam_uniforms/largeduck.html

And the one shown there is also a civilian hunting set.

The best reference in the world for this type camo is on this forum. Using the above link you might be disappointed if you use what they say as gospel.

You are picking and choosing what you want to hear from the above posts, not the facts.

Without documentation, like was stated above numerous times, all this is, is a set of civilian camo. No one is talking down to you, no one is trying to rain on your parade, they are just stating facts not fantasy.

manayunkman

If the day should come that this set comes up for sale what price do you put on it?

All the “negative comments” are really just Sales obstacles.

This is what you’ll hear if you try to sell it.

I know hunting collectors deal in this sort of stuff so it has value.

Or go back to the house and find out who this belongs to and if it is an advisor get more proof.

vintageproductions

Peter- Again, where are the, "All the “negative comments” are really just Sales obstacles."?

No one is being negative they are being factual.

For a set of this 60's hunting camo, you can go in most vintage clothing stores and the hipsters buy them for $25.00 - $50.00 a piece because they wear them for fashion. Same thing with older hunting clothing it sells for more money  to the vintage buyers then it does the hunting collectors. You lived here in Southern California for enough time that at all the major flea markets, the "Rag Dealers" would have piles of this type camo hunting clothing laying on the ground, and you could buy for $10-15 each.

Without rock solid provenance this is just vintage hunting clothing.