MinorInHistory

How can you determine if a M1 Bandolier is WWII?

Hello all,

I was wondering, how can you tell if a M1 Garand bandolier is from the WWII era? Is there a certain material or marking that can be used to determine this? 

Thanks! 

A real good indicator is there are no markings at all.

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The color and most importantly the strap is thicker than thin post war ones. I have a few packed away, I will go through my photos.

Okay, here are a few pics. Read carefully. The picture of the ones in the can are WW2 , they were not ink stamped but instead had purplish in color " lot cards" stating manufacture and loading lot numbers. These are pristine DEN 43 dated M2 ball rounds on clips ( C) that were repacked into Korean War era.50 cal ammo cans  purchased directly from the CMP years ago.

The other single one with the TW markings and ink stampings ( 8 rds in enbloc) is straight out of a can I opened a few years ago and the lot number translates to 1952 agreeing with the headstamp. The bandoleers and enblocs are WW2 issue, huge quantities were surplus after WW2 and as they no longer issued lot cards the WW2 bandoleers were inked with the loading data. So, recap, the TW 52 fresh made ammo was loaded into surplus WW2 enblocs and bandoleers.

Notice the color and strap thickness.spacer.pngspacer.pngimage.jpeg.f950389fd886f9ae23f89c4a940d91ea.jpegimage.jpeg.af461b71bdda9f8a3a59e53197f4ea95.jpegimage.jpeg.64f82e8e0891b0e919fa1ccf0a5a97f3.jpeg

For interest, a few pics of how the ammo was issued in wire crates.image.jpeg.5652a91974169a969f6e7b02e6a520ca.jpeg

Ok, thanks for the information you guys. That was something I had been wondering about for a while. 

MinorInHistory 

Just to be clear, the photo of the ammo cans in the wire crate show post-war ammo cans.  

I believe the  bandoleers also came in wooden Crates like the .50 cal wooden crates.  

I don’t have the link handy, but there is/was an ammo can website that covers all of this in detail.  I’ll try to find the link later.

Collecting 3rd Armored Division items of all kinds from all eras, specializing in the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment.

10 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Just to be clear, the photo of the ammo cans in the wire crate show post-war ammo cans.  

I believe the  bandoleers also came in wooden Crates like the .50 cal wooden crates.  

I don’t have the link handy, but there is/was an ammo can website that covers all of this in detail.  I’ll try to find the link later.

Right, the example of mine I have posted is WW2 issued ammo repacked into Korean War era cans. WW2 issued ammo typically came in wooden crates that held metal  cans. Here is a 1941 dated can ( crate) recently opened  containg 1941 FA Blanks packed in 20 round cardboard boxes. Typical WW2 packaging, could be M2 clipped in cartons, M2 in enblocs and bandoleers, etc. I have a few examples of original WW2, repacked WW2, WW2 repacked for the Korean War, and even post Korea. I opened a few to sell off as they do not much good sitting unopened( and after a few years became curious about their condition). All examples are getting extremely hard to find ( I will use the word rare) and I especially like the crisp, as issued WW2 .30 M2 AP in enblocs.image.jpeg.691988ab1fc22bbc38779c8f933495b3.jpegimage.jpeg.d57bd5962bd90067a3104476fd68e705.jpegimage.jpeg.5cd7591f35ded9222a85b02548e2e8f6.jpeg

I posted before, my collection in its infancy. The WW2 tracer, incendiary and API are hen's teethe, along with the WW1 rounds I had aquired. My absolute favorite are the WW1 boxed rounds for " aircraft use only"....I will see if I can find them and post if interested. Note: the HXP CMP stuff and after market packaged stuff I shoot up, the sealed spam cans I now keep along with any WW2 dated ammo, crates, cans or clothe belted MG stuff. WW2 issued enblocs seem to be a rarity these days so I pick them up when found. If enough interest, I can take more pictures of some of the original, rarely seen stuff.image.jpeg.b87ca59cdcfd9eb6fea63fcc2c1d139b.jpegimage.jpeg.0f5db06cc4d3e178e4864a11dbf991cb.jpegimage.jpeg.b5def8ffb0eb74ac986c51f80b37dcaf.jpeg

wow

what a selection and everything is in great shape

Any interest in seeing more? Nope. None at all. Not even the tiniest bit interested. But if you want to post some, I may look at it just to be polite.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif