navy red cross

Costa

Had I not just bought a car I would have thrown my hat in the ring on this one. I'm hoping a member her got it, I'd love to see more pictures of it.

Burning Hazard

Really nice, original H-DIV helmet; wish I had the money too. I saved pictures of it in my helmet reference folder as these one scarcely come up.

Pat

H-DIV Helmet.JPG

Burning Hazard

I believe H-DIV are hospital ships, or at least a hospital on a ship where wounded were brought in. 

Hopefully one of our Navy vets can provide more details on H-DIV's.

Pat

1 hour ago, Burning Hazard said:

I believe H-DIV are hospital ships, or at least a hospital on a ship where wounded were brought in. 

Hopefully one of our Navy vets can provide more details on H-DIV's.

Pat

ya know Pat, i'll bet that lid is a D-DAY lid. man, some one got a real honey!!

huntssurplus

That sure is a nice one! 1800 Isn’t too bad either with how much helmets seem to be going these days. No matter the economy helmets will always go up. Good investment haha.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burning Hazard
2 hours ago, sigsaye said:

“Hospital Division”

Sigs,

I'm not too familiar with USN medical units but is there a difference between them? I watched footage and seen a corpsmen with these painted helmets:

- H-DIV with red crosses (appear to be receiving wounded on ships)

- USCG with red crosses (both on beaches and on ships)

- Yellow or white dots but no red crosses (mostly on beaches)

- Coast guard medics (mostly on ships)

Thanks in advance!

It was a really nice helmet but saying this is a d-day one is a bit farfetch w/o name.

There weren't hospital ships only off the coast of Normandy

From http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/Seamanship/img/?C=N;O=D

Here's a chart showing H-Div on a battleship. Most larger ships had H-Divisions, from what these charts show. This means that this helmet could have served anywhere in the world and at any point in time through the Korean War and still been correct for the ship.

h div.jpg

1 hour ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

It's a cool helmet but why so much?

It sold more for a lot more than I personally thought it was going to sell for, but maybe someone knows something I don't. It looks like it's WWII era, but you never can exactly pinpoint a date on these navy helmets without provenance, the only identification was "MAC" inked in the liner, and it had no last name. So, it would be extremely difficult to research. The only conclusion I could make for why it went so high, is the possibility that the helmet was used on D-Day, but I think that's rather unlikely. Either way, it's a really nice looking helmet, and I'm sure whoever got it will enjoy it.

I wouldn’t overthink this one. It’s a solid WWII corpsman/hospital ship helmet. I think it sold on the high end for what it is, but not unreasonable if you don’t have nice corpsman lid in your collection. 

The thing to remember, is that the guys in the beach, wearing these helmets, came from the ship that the wounded are being sent. They are assigned to that ships Shore Party, to sort casualties based on ships capabilities, types of wounds and how many wounded they can Take aboard. Not all ships were Hospital Ships, but any ship that could, did receive casualties. 

this should NOT, be confused with medical units assigned to operate ashore in support of a landing.