Why would this gun be wanted?

stratasfan

Ran across an old sale thread, for a smashed demilled revolver. 

Not only did it sell, but multiple people wanted it! My very basic question . . . why was it wanted? It is totally ruined, to the untrained eye. However, it must have something. :) So, thought I would ask as some of you might be able to shed some light on my question! :) 

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Well, in a collector’s career there is a time you will buy a lot of things because they are affordable and let your collection grow... Later when you get to the point that you have no room left to store your items you will buy a less quantity of more valuable things...

I think that is the reason why...

huntssurplus

I mean it was 50 bucks so pretty cheap. Plus it was kind of neat. I guess it would be best to ask each person that was interested individually why they wanted it.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

US Military Guy

I have over 6,000 items in my collection - twelve of them are demilled weapons / parts - including M-1 Garands, M-14 rifles, M-1 carbines, M-1911 A1 pistol, and an M & P revolver (just like the one in the photo).

I use them as an educational item to demonstrate the stupidity of the federal government.

No . . . I think I mean something different. I understand upgrading items or moving on . . .but my question is more about why in the first place is this a desirable item. And not asking what each individual person's personal thoughts were . . . someone must understand why this gun was wanted. I mean, just because you think $50 is cheap . . . would you buy a USMC Kabar that had been melted down in to a lumpy mess? And if you would . . . again, wondering why? 

So, on this gun (and there isn't a right or wrong to this . . . I am simply wondering what made this gun desirable that in a run-down state, it is still wanted by multiple people? Personally, $50 isn't cheap to me. I only get that about twice a year to spend. Compared to a $1,000 gun, sure . . .but why would I want to spend money for a smashed, unmoving gun missing parts? :) That's what I'm asking . . . 

It is one of the rarest US military revolvers and nearly impossible to find a complete, working example.  So, for some collectors this is as close as they can get.  I have one just like it and it kinda, sorta filled a hole until I found a good one.

Personally I think it's cool. The gun itself is a historical item. The fact that it has been demilled adds the dimension of the demilling process and the story of what the govt did to things it got rid of. Plus, with it you no longer have to worry about the gun laws in your area. A few years ago I bought a section of a demilled 1941 Enfield .38 revolver frame  at a flea market for 10 bucks. Thought I'd buy some grips for it and use in a holster I already had in my collection. But me being me, I eventually bought everything needed to recreate the entire gun except for the missing chuck of the frame. Nuts, I know, but lots of fun, a great learning experience, and the holster rig now looks great. 

Why did they demilitarization in that way? In Europe you can buy demilitarized weapons that are changed decently... But they have a much higher price... You can pay 600-1500 € for a pistol... Last year I bought a Luger...

494d5e7ede910ea80ff7bd0b4a966521.jpg

U.S. military weapons are demilled by crushing or torch cutting.  The requirement was part of the gun control hysteria of the 1960s in the U.S.  The intent was to turn surplus military weapons into scrap metal.

14 minutes ago, kwill said:

U.S. military weapons are demilled by crushing or torch cutting.  The requirement was part of the gun control hysteria of the 1960s in the U.S.  The intent was to turn surplus military weapons into scrap metal.

ALOT OF GOOD HISTORY DOWN THE TOILET DUE TO HYSTERIA.

manayunkman

What a collection!!

Thats really incredible.

Are they torched?

It looks like they were sliced.

As far as answering the question as to why, I think the most reasonable answer is the historical one. An example of a guns history.

I can’t imagine that there are many around despite the plethora of parts we see in the previous post.

Im sure most of these parts went to the scrap heap where they became razor blades.

US Military Guy
2 hours ago, stratasfan said:

No . . . I think I mean something different. I understand upgrading items or moving on . . .but my question is more about why in the first place is this a desirable item. And not asking what each individual person's personal thoughts were . . . someone must understand why this gun was wanted. I mean, just because you think $50 is cheap . . . would you buy a USMC Kabar that had been melted down in to a lumpy mess? And if you would . . . again, wondering why

So, on this gun (and there isn't a right or wrong to this . . . I am simply wondering what made this gun desirable that in a run-down state, it is still wanted by multiple people? Personally, $50 isn't cheap to me. I only get that about twice a year to spend. Compared to a $1,000 gun, sure . . .but why would I want to spend money for a smashed, unmoving gun missing parts? :) That's what I'm asking . . . 

"I use them as an educational item to demonstrate the stupidity of the federal government."

Often times when I am trying to educate someone I find an actual "hands on" type of item to be helpful in trying to get my point across.  Sometimes people do not listen (or understand) words.  If you hand them something to hold, they start to understand.

When I am trying to teach history, I sometimes find it difficult to actually find these "hands on" type of items for people to hold due to the era of history I am teaching.  Old things are hard to find.

Yes, I would buy the Kabar.  I don't have one in my collection.

Price is relevant.  If you can find another one tomorrow, you might wait until tomorrow.  If they are hard to find now, most likely they will be harder to find tomorrow - and more expensive.  I make purchasing decisions based on availability (Can I get another one later?  Is there another one?) and demand (Do I need it for whatever my purposes are?).  Naturally, if someone else thinks like I do, there will be greater demand - and price.

There are actually lots of these demilled guns around.  Some of them are cut up by big shearing machines.  They would sell them as scrap by the pound, usually in 55 gallon drums.

Job2Iut.jpg

BTW, there was quite an industry for a while by unscrupulous sellers who would pick through parts and weld them back together.  It is especially common with M1911A1 pistols.

pararaftanr2
6 hours ago, stratasfan said:

Ran across an old sale thread, for a smashed demilled revolver. 

Not only did it sell, but multiple people wanted it! My very basic question . . . why was it wanted? It is totally ruined, to the untrained eye. However, it must have something. :) So, thought I would ask as some of you might be able to shed some light on my question! :) 

Thanks!

Elizabeth

I know why I'd want it. The torch cut Victory revolvers make great holster-fillers. With the addition of original walnut grips (which are still plentiful), or vintage Franzite grips, and sometimes a few parts (side plate, or lanyard ring), they are the perfect substitute for a complete (and expensive) gun to use on a mannequin display.

vic.jpg

IMG_1918a.JPG

IMG_2827a.JPG

IMG_6608a.JPG

IMG_5527b.JPG

Those look really good, I have some demilled rifle actions that I have used to make display rifles but have never considered doing that with a cut revolver. 

On 6/27/2020 at 6:05 PM, pararaftanr2 said:

I know why I'd want it. The torch cut Victory revolvers make great holster-fillers. With the addition of original walnut grips (which are still plentiful), or vintage Franzite grips, and sometimes a few parts (side plate, or lanyard ring), they are the perfect substitute for a complete (and expensive) gun to use on a mannequin display.

vic.jpg

IMG_1918a.JPG

IMG_2827a.JPG

IMG_6608a.JPG

IMG_5527b.JPG

Oh, that is a good thought! I could see how that would totally work! And be practical for a display like this, rather than sinking a lot of money in to something that you don't even see all of it. So, that is really a good idea!

Thanks for all the thoughts! Very interesting about the destruction of the guns! I never knew that really. I mean, I know they get rid of old weapons, but never thought about it. I know Russia just has theirs filling warehouses! :) Suppose I never thought about what the US did. So, when I ran across that thread, I wondered what would make people interested in it. So, thanks for all the input!

mikie --- That is cool about your long-term restoration! 

I have a 'wall of rust' where I hang stuff like that in my barn. Two conditions: Price has to be right (less than $20) and it has to be in hopeless condition! Lots of comments over the years!

IMG_20200629_111949089.jpg

1 hour ago, kfields said:

I have a 'wall of rust' where I hang stuff like that in my barn. Two conditions: Price has to be right (less than $20) and it has to be in hopeless condition! Lots of comments over the years!

'Wall of rust'!  That is wonderful!  I know I'm weird, but  it's way cool!  And I love your 2 conditions.  

Mikie

Doctorofwar
3 hours ago, kfields said:

I was at a ranch in NM near the AZ boarder some years ago that had a bunch of cool rusty stuff adorning the walls.  The owner said most of it was found on the ranch itself, what intrigued me most was a couple of the guns including a Colt SAA and a couple long guns of late 1800s vintage.  Great decor and curiosity pieces.  Your wall of rust just brought that memory back. Very cool, thanks for sharing.