Late WW2 M1C front seam manganese pot

P-59A

After years of looking I finally picked up a late war M1C pot to go with my M1C Westinghouse liner. This is a swivel bail front seam manganese rim. The chin strap buckle is flat. The heat treat stamp is 10-9 A. I can't make out what is between the 0 and the 9. The strap is short, it does not connect in the back. The first photos are it dressed up and the later photo's will be the details of the pot. I have already posted the liner before.

DSC00348.JPG

DSC00349.JPG

DSC00351.JPG

DSC00350.JPG

Some time ago I noticed that many M1Cs fell into that transition period between moving from front seam stainless steel rims to rear seam magnesium steel rims, and are a mix of those plus the front seam magnesium steel rims and rear seam stainless steel rims.  I understand these would have been made October thru November 1944.  Yours fits that period and is a nice addition to your collection.

50 minutes ago, thorin6 said:

Some time ago I noticed that many M1Cs fell into that transition period between moving from front seam stainless steel rims to rear seam magnesium steel rims, and are a mix of those plus the front seam magnesium steel rims and rear seam stainless steel rims.  I understand these would have been made October thru November 1944.  Yours fits that period and is a nice addition to your collection.

Thanks! I was going over old posts and came across someone talking about reinforced tack. What is that about?

48 minutes ago, sgtdorango said:

Very nice set, i like it undressed better👍🏻.....mike

Thanks Mike, What if I put the M-44 net on it? Still too much?  : )

2 hours ago, P-59A said:

Thanks! I was going over old posts and came across someone talking about reinforced tack. What is that about?

I think the tack on some of the M1Cs was coming loose, and some GIs added additional sewing to reinforce the original tack.  I remember (if it's to be trusted) seeing a couple of helmet straps where the loose additional sewing could be observed.  Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

37 minutes ago, thorin6 said:

I think the tack on some of the M1Cs was coming loose, and some GIs added additional sewing to reinforce the original tack.  I remember (if it's to be trusted) seeing a couple of helmet straps where the loose additional sewing could be observed.  Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

There were some that were double tacked from the factory, there were also rigger reinforced stitching added at times by the airborne rigger units as a repair or replacing damaged para chinstraps.....mike