F-101B Voodoo Instrument Panel

viking73

Hello -

Here is something I picked up today - the front instrument panel from F-101B Voodoo 58-0339!!  I was so excited to find and buy this piece of Cold War aviation history!  What really make it great I think are the sub panels.  I'm sure these are almost impossible to find?  Anyway, on to the photos!  Looks like I'll be after some instruments now to fill those holes :)

-Derek

IMG_6921-crop22.jpg

IMG_6925-crop22.jpg

It looks like the 80339 tag is your radio call number. This is also the tail number. You might want to look at Baugher's list and see if #58-0339 brings up anything.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:35 AM, P-59A said:

It looks like the 80339 tag is your radio call number. This is also the tail number. You might want to look at Baugher's list and see if #58-0339 brings up anything.

Hi D - 

I did check Baugher's website and nothing is listed for her unfortunately.

However, the website Forgotten Jets (http://forgottenjets.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/F-101.html) has this to say about F-101B Voodoo 58-0339:

>1978: Oregon ANG 123rd FIS.
>11/1981: Transferred into storage at the AMARC bone yard.
>Was preserved at Hill AFB, UT.
>1987: Salvaged in Salt Lake City, UT.

The person I bought the panel from bought it from the guy that said he scrapped the aircraft.   Attached is a really small and poor photo that he sent me from the scrapper.  It's a pity since you can't make anything out from the photo.  The scrapper did say that this panel was the only Voodoo item he kept... :(

I haven't been able to locate any photos of her yet from her time with the Oregon ANG.  Does the "KK24" placard mean that her side # was 24?  I did find a photo of her in flight with the 18th FIS.  Interestingly, my Google search turned up some models and model decals with Oregon ANG markings for 58-0339.  All have side # 18 though...

-Derek

F101VooDoo2.jpg

phantomfixer

The weapona select panel and the engine fire panel are way cool...the parts are out there...will be a great hunt.....wish I saved the seat for ya..would have been great to mate them 

On 7/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, P-59A said:

HA3710-F101B-Voodoo-left-OL.jpg

That's the one I found also via Google...

I just dropped the Hill AFB Museum a line to see if might have any photos or information about this a/c before it was scrapped.  1987 was a while ago so fingers crossed...

-Derek

I installed the first instrument in the panel today - an Angle of Attack indicator I found on eBay :)

-Derek

IMG_7006-crop.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2020 at 3:35 PM, mohawkALSE said:

Dang it Derek!  Stop buying everyhing up!  You might as well build a steel building and start a museum.

I'd sure love to but I can't stop hahahahaha!!!  You guys know how it is!

I wanted to post a photo of the progress I've made with this panel so far.  It's been fun learning about this panel and hunting for the correct instruments.  I was unable to find a maintenance manual a fellow collector in Canada was kind enough to send me a list of instruments with their part numbers and stock numbers.  That has been a BIG help...

-Derek

IMG_7437-crop22.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hey Derek,

I have a fuel quantity indicator NSN 6680-104-6707

0-16 x100lbs= 0-1600lbs indicator..if needed

had an ADI that would have went good in your panel, was from a 105, but same same IIRC

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents - 

Here's the latest shot of my panel.  I am down to only needing 6 instruments now :)  The search continues...

I may also be the owner of a Voodoo ejection seat next week, stay tuned!

-Derek

hQCRosI.jpg

1 hour ago, mohawkALSE said:

You're living life wild at that attitude haha.    Thats coming along nicely,  post that seat if you got it. 

Haha, for sure...!  This one came all the way from a fellow collector in Thailand so no telling!!

I'm supposed to go check out the seat this up coming Wednesday (it's about a 70 mile drive to where it's located) so wish me luck T.  I'll be sure to let you know what happens :)

-Derek

• 3 months later...

While I was here, I thought I'd post an update on my Voodoo panel.

I've added a few more things since I last posted.  I've also replaced the fuel gauge with the correct one.  I have a Mach indicator coming all the way from Germany which I hope to have in 10 - 14 days (fingers crossed USPS!).  Once I have that one installed, I'll be down to the final three!

Thanks for looking.

-Derek

9axlFe3.jpg