HEAVY War Damaged House, Battle of Franklin, ACW

james127

I had a chance not too long ago to visit the Civil War site for the Battle of Franklin (which is an often overlooked, but important battle). While most of the battlefield has been paved over, there are a few spots that have been preserved and/or reclaimed. One of those is the Carter House, which was at the epicenter of some of the most vicious fighting in the battle. This video showcases some of the aftermath. Be sure to watch to the end. There was one moment that was one of the most jaw dropping sights that I've ever seen on any battlefield. Enjoy!

The damage shown on the walls and the fact that it's still there all these years later is amazing. Really helps you imagine what it was like being there during the battle. Thanks for posting! I need to catch up on your other videos too. I haven't had the time to get on the forum for the past month.

The Rooster

James ! Great Presentation !

Its incredible that its been left as it was for the most part. I noticed some bullet holes where the round hit on its side.

Some of those big minne balls were tumbling. Maybe this one got its tumble coming through the window ?

Looks like a perfect profile of a minne ball in the wood.

Great video James ! Thank you Sir !

1654685108_Screenshot_2020-06-26HEAVYWarDamagedHouse.png.d00d2d02d10ddcc07bde13d7cbb7acf8.png

Another great video. I'm curious  - with all the bullet holes leaving the house and office open to the weather how is it that the walls haven't rotted away in the past 150+ years? Are the holes filled with paint or some type of varnish or preservative - if you know? It's also interesting that the bullet holes in the interior show that the bullets were tumbling. I'd guess coming through the outside walls would have done that.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:47 AM, JasonT said:

The damage shown on the walls and the fact that it's still there all these years later is amazing. Really helps you imagine what it was like being there during the battle. Thanks for posting! I need to catch up on your other videos too. I haven't had the time to get on the forum for the past month.

I know. So glad that they family preserved it all of these years.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, rooster77 said:

James ! Great Presentation !

Its incredible that its been left as it was for the most part. I noticed some bullet holes where the round hit on its side.

Some of those big minne balls were tumbling. Maybe this one got its tumble coming through the window ?

Looks like a perfect profile of a minne ball in the wood.

Great video James ! Thank you Sir !

1654685108_Screenshot_2020-06-26HEAVYWarDamagedHouse.png.d00d2d02d10ddcc07bde13d7cbb7acf8.png

I noticed that too. Imagine that thing tumbling end over end and then hitting you. My gosh.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:51 PM, sundance said:

Another great video. I'm curious  - with all the bullet holes leaving the house and office open to the weather how is it that the walls haven't rotted away in the past 150+ years? Are the holes filled with paint or some type of varnish or preservative - if you know? It's also interesting that the bullet holes in the interior show that the bullets were tumbling. I'd guess coming through the outside walls would have done that.

I wish that I would've asked about that. I know that the office has been painted over the years and just recently had the interior walls removed.

The Rooster
33 minutes ago, james127 said:

I noticed that too. Imagine that thing tumbling end over end and then hitting you. My gosh.

Yea James !!! Bad enough suffering a clean shot from a bullet with spin on it.

Tumbling like that if it hit you... Man. That wood I take it is pretty thick?

Thank s agin for this and all your great videos James. Always learning from them

and I enjoy them !

Thank you !