Kurt Barickman

Dakota War Minnesota 1862

Something I am interested in outside of WWII USMC is the war here in  southern Minnesota in 1862. I am curious if any of our members or visitors out there have original examples of the Fort Ridgely or New Ulm Defenders medals. Especially like to see and hear about their original owners and recipients, 

Thanks in advance.

Kurt Barickman

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Aloha Kurt,

I'm also very interested in the Dakota War of 1862-1865 and have been researching this period for half a century.  My emphasis has been from the Iowa/Nebraska/Dakota perspective as my Gr Gr Grandfather was with the Field and Staff of the 6th Iowa Cavalry & the Collector for the Smithsonian Institution, Northwest Indian Expedition 1862-1866 with General Alfred Sully.

Interesting topic from another aspect of the conflict. Would be interested in seeing examples and the history behind the two medals from those willing to share.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Some interesting history locally.The Spirit Lake Massacre was initiated  here in the area by Henry Lott who killed a chief Sidominadotah (Two Fingers) and family members as he held them responsible for the earlier death of a son who froze to death. There is still a creek in the area named Lotts Creek.

https://www.iowanationalguard.com/History/History/Pages/Spirit-Lake-Massacre.aspx

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..