Dakota War Minnesota 1862

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Something I am interested in outside of WWII USMC is the war here in  southern Minnesota in 1862. I am curious if any of our members or visitors out there have original examples of the Fort Ridgely or New Ulm Defenders medals. Especially like to see and hear about their original owners and recipients, 

Thanks in advance.

Kurt Barickman

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Kurt,

I'm also very interested in the Dakota War of 1862-1865 and have been researching this period for half a century.  My emphasis has been from the Iowa/Nebraska/Dakota perspective as my Gr Gr Grandfather was with the Field and Staff of the 6th Iowa Cavalry & the Collector for the Smithsonian Institution, Northwest Indian Expedition 1862-1866 with General Alfred Sully.

Kurt Barickman

Interesting topic from another aspect of the conflict. Would be interested in seeing examples and the history behind the two medals from those willing to share.

Kurt

Salvage Sailor

Not Minnesota but these are 1862 Dakota War

Northwest Indian Expedition, 6th Iowa Volunteer Cavalry veterans group

6th Iowa Cav calling card.jpg

6th Iowa Cavalry recruiting broadside Dec 24 1862.jpg

laddermedal.jpg

Some interesting history locally.The Spirit Lake Massacre was initiated  here in the area by Henry Lott who killed a chief Sidominadotah (Two Fingers) and family members as he held them responsible for the earlier death of a son who froze to death. There is still a creek in the area named Lotts Creek.

https://www.iowanationalguard.com/History/History/Pages/Spirit-Lake-Massacre.aspx