A mystery patch on jump jackets? Or something else?

Longhorn92

So I watched a documentary on James Megellas the other day and noticed a couple of stills that piqued my interest.

What is being worn on the upper left side of their jump jackets?

It looks like a patch but given the quality of the pics maybe it’s a piece of equipment, or some sort of temporary unit marking. Or is it something very simple I’m overlooking?

I showed the pics to Allan and we couldn’t figure it out.

Megellas was a replacement with H/504. I can’t see an 82nd patch anywhere so I’m not sure if these pics were taken stateside or in Italy. 

Any ideas?

Stills taken from “Maggie’s War,” 2012.

2ACF7085-D650-4F17-B21D-78907B0E721B.jpeg

54DDD156-F2AA-4FAF-886C-9CB5ECE2F2BC.jpeg

Very interesting, my first thought was something similar to the bazooka patch, like a bazooka with a lightning bolt behind it forming an X but im not sur what it is, any chance that you know the source of the photos?..maybe you could then track down a high resolution photo to look at under magnification.....mike

The pics may have come from his book “All the way to Berlin,” but I’m not sure and I don’t own it. 

I looked everywhere for a similar looking patch on jump jackets but found nothing. 

According to "Burning Bridges" Vol. 1 officers of H/504 wore the American Red Cross Clubmobile patch for Holland.

Well, bam. Thanks for the info. I have that book so I’ll have a look.

And Allan was right from the get go. He said it looked like a Red Cross patch of some sort. I said he was wrong.

8 hours ago, Longhorn92 said:

Well, bam. Thanks for the info. I have that book so I’ll have a look.

And Allan was right from the get go. He said it looked like a Red Cross patch of some sort. I said he was wrong.

HOW DARE YOU DOUBT ME JOE?!?!?!  :lol:

Leif,

Thanks for the confirmation!

Allan

Wow!...mystery solved, great job figuring that out 👍🏻....why would they wear those patches is now my question?!....mike

manayunkman

I had an 82nd officers jacket with Red Cross buttons and arc over the blue airborne arc.

He also had a small Red Cross painted on the front of his helmet.

He was a volunteer.

• 2 years later...

Jumping in late.  The picture was taken in Leicester, England in September of 1944 as they were prepping for the drop in Holland on Sept. 17. That is Megellas' on the left and Capt. Carl W. Kappel the commander of H company.  Yes, those are patches of the "American Red Cross Clubmobile."